Think this noise is transmission related. Clip inside

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcirtap

Reaction score
Noise started yesterday. Installed my winter tires. Went to visit a friend and when i got hom i left car runing and steped outside heard a wierd noise. Was tired and went to bed, but this morning fired up the truck and still same noise. Seems to be coming from transmission area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4JbxA1YVNw

actually dumb question, but could a bad cat make this kind of noise? if i put a screw driver end on the transmission and then to my ear nothing. But if i do the same with my messed up cat, seems amplified.

My first thought was a valve lifter. Catalytic converter is not on my list of possibilities. Other possibles are water pump or alternator.

Sounds exactly like what we had so here is our educated guess...cam phaser-solenoid. It was fixed under warranty, although they did remove the valve covers and camshaft and replaced the sproket (right side) with no luck before they replaced the solenoid.

Sondra

only noticed it at idle so far, haven't really driven the truck since i noticed the noise. At first was afraid i was gonna break something.

if i switch gears noise is still present. noise is constant. Stays pretty much at that level though. Can't hear it if you are in the cab, when u step out and are on drivers side u hear it better...

actually just took it for a drive and noise doesn't seem present when driving. only at idle. wierd. guess i'll make them look at it while changing my cats on Wednesday.. Just want to enjoy my truck, all these problems have made me wish i had kept my civic lol

no doubt...take it in then!

(may be many days to fix..we were 4 days with tear down and waiting on parts. we were given a rental car)

Sondra

And that could be true too Bob, it seems to be common with Gen 2.

Went to visit a friend and when i got hom i left car runing and steped outside heard a wierd noise

The noise should of went away when the manifolds get hot though.

Either way, glad the warranty will take care of it!

Sondra

Maybe torque convertor bolts. Loose on the flexplate (flywheel).

I had a dodge do that at idle. It would go away while driving or acceleration.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for suggestions guys. I email the video to service guy at the ford dealership that i have my apt at on wednesday to replace my cat converter. They will look see. He said he would let mechanics listen to my video. Anyways i will keep you guys posted on what they find. Hopefully nothing to serious.

Update. Well had the car at the dealer for all of Thursday ( good guys let me drop it off wednesday night and gave me a loaner so i wouldn't miss work cause my appointment was thursday morning). Turns out that noise was exhaust related. New cats, one new O2 sensor and no more messed up noise. Glad it has all been taken care of. Was kind of pissed it too about 2 months to get the cats from ford, backorder problems, but in the end glad it was taken car of, best of all it was free (warranty repair). Now i can finally look into installing my magnaflow catback that has been sitting here for the past 2 months lol. Actually good thing is install will be easy, all new bolts so should be easy to remove, problem is that it has gotten cold outside, quebec winter is on its way...