Thinking about trading the ST for a Subaru

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this may sound a little silly but, if you don't have a cover over your bed put the tailgate down. the wind whipping up over the truck can cause some drag with the tailgate up

Actually that's a 70's myth. It's been proven that removing the tailgate doesn't help a bit.

Heather, if you don't need a pickup then I don't blame you for looking at alternatives. I'm not going to complain about my 16-17 mpg because that's not bad for a pickup and I need that bed. Otherwise I'd probably be looking also, because gas is not going to get any cheaper. If you get a chance, look at the new 06 Toyota RAV4's. Just bought one for my wife 3 weeks ago. With the 265hp V6, that baby moves and still averages 24-25 mpg. My wife loves it. Of course she went from an Expedition that drives like a boat.

Can't explain your lower numbers without the cover Scott. And it seems logical to believe there would be less resistance with a cover on but according to the study (I think it was Columbia University) it just doesn't help. The actual weight of the cover is thought to negate any savings due to aerodynamics. There's lots of articles on the web about this. A lot of people have done independent studies and reached the same conclusion.

Michelle: I rented a brand new Subaru Outback AWD wagon in Arizona a few weeks ago and logged over 1500 miles in it. It had the 4 cylinder, and got over 31 mpg on the hwy and about 25mpg in Phoenix driving. It had the mileage computer in the dash which was very handy.

I was very impressed with the quiet ride and drivetrain in the vehicle. The AWD is nice especially since you don't have any levers to engage - it simply engages itself as needed. I would think the model you are considering would get even better mileage since the wagon is much larger and heavier.

You could get the "mini sport trac" version... the baja.

523fb4debb88f4d5e804be1a67d98f11.jpg

Heather,

It sounds like you must work down in the irvine area with that kind of round trip mileage. Mine was just about the same when I was commuting the the El Toro Y area. :)

Uncle_Bob

If it wasn't for the fact that I don't want a car as my only vehicle, I would consider Subaru. Two of my friends have Subies. One has a 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS, and the other one has a 2005 WRX STi. Those STi's are freakin' sweet! I'm usually into just Fords, but I like it. The AWD bias is transferrable from the front to the rear, and the intercooled turbo makes it scream, and it handles like it's on rails. He traded in a 2003 Mustang GT on it, and says the gas mileage savings alone were worth it. Unfortunately, I don't know what he's getting.

Bob-

School in Costa Mesa and then I head over to Newport for work

Thanks for all your input guys and gals. I'm still on the fence, but I think I'm leaning toward the subaru if the Xcal doesn't help my mpg.

-Heather in OC

My parents have owned Subarus for years and love them... They came down to FL this past week and I took them driving out on the beach. I intentionally drove through some pretty deep sugar sand and darn if their little Forester didn't follow right behind me with no problems. I have heard bad things about the H-6 engine in that it is underpowered and gets poor mileage. The H-4s have plenty of power for the size of the vehicle and the mileage is definitely a welcome site these days. Shop around as it was stated earlier... some Subaru dealers don't like to "discount". Good luck with your decision and provide pics.

I too am considering trading the ST for a Subaru re Gas Mileage

I live in FL where 4WD for the most part is unneccessary

and AWD would be great in the wet weather

I dont need the size or towing capacity that an 07 ST would give me

(I know they offer a better transfer case than my 01)

Since I fish and put all sorts of nasty things in the back

I still want a truck bed and not an eclosed SUV

So it looks like the Baja is a good possiblility for me

Quote:

Can't explain your lower numbers without the cover Scott. And it seems logical to believe there would be less resistance with a cover on but according to the study (I think it was Columbia University) it just doesn't help. The actual weight of the cover is thought to negate any savings due to aerodynamics. There's lots of articles on the web about this. A lot of people have done independent studies and reached the same conclusion.

http://ask.yahoo.com/20050427.html

Tom... not to beat this to death (sometimes I tend to do that), but your link showed me nothing about covers, or STs... just pickup tailgates.

Regarding University studies... I can't begin to tell you how many times my stuff was totally predictable in the QC lab, but not in the real world. In this case it all has to do with the specific aerodynamics of the vehicle and how air comes off the top and drops to the bed. I prefer to believe what I experience and not what some college students conclude (especially if their conclusions differ with real world experience).

Theories and conclusions we are taught to believe as facts since day one are disproved regularly. Oh boy do I remember my high school chemistry and astronomy.

I'm just saying don't rule it out if you haven't actually observed the difference with your own vehicle and driving habits. A study or two or more just aren't going to sway me from what I believe my actual experience was.

Cheers!

They proved it on Mythbusters. Two indentical trucks.....same route. One had gate opened one did not. The truck that had the tailgate up did better in MPG. In the model wind tunnel they concluded that the bed with the gate down created a vacuum at the head board in the bed and therefore more resistance. The truck with the gate up created a pocket of airat the head board and less resistance.

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/11/episode_43_seasickness_cures_f.html

What does this have to do with the tonneau cover? That was what we were talking about folks!

Actually, the original comment was :

this may sound a little silly but, if you don't have a cover over your bed put the tailgate down. the wind whipping up over the truck can cause some drag with the tailgate up.

I saw that episode of mythbusters, probably the only one I've caught.