Thinking of buying wife a Jeep Compass...any owners with advice?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Costin

Reaction score
With the Jeep incentives I am thinking of buying the wife a Jeep Compass. Actually, if gas prices shoot way back up, I will probably commute with it and let her drive my '07 Sport Trac one day. Anyway, does anyone own one, if so, do you like it or dislike it?

Thanks.

Jeep/Chrysler cars are poor on gas mileage when compared to other vehicles their size/class, so if planning for this to be a commuter look at rated MPG carefully.

TJR

The only Jeep product I would consider purchasing is a Wrangler.

The Compass is kinda weird looking, I also have heard the gas mileage is not that great.

I prefer the Ford Escape in this class of vehicle. Just my opinion

My wife has 05 liberty. Once of my first quality tests for any car is the bang on the dash, her's shakes as if it was going to fall of. In my opinion its not a well built car. Its very fast, but her water pump went out at only 50K. It gets crap for gas, handles kinda wierd. I know the compass is pretty much like a car, and alot of chrysler's cars have had lots of recalls. My Liberty has had a few that can cause loss of steering control. I know they are going for like 12K for the base model, but beware.....

all are true with the MPG statements. However, my father still has his '97 grand Cherokee with 200k and it runs like it just came off the line. now things are probably a lot different now quality wise, but with proper maintenance it should give some good years.

We just did a 350 small block crate motor swap in my buddies '94 wrangler!!! its bad @$$ to say the least. true duals with electronic cut outs, 5 speed tranny, comp cam, performance headers!!

All the folks I know that bought the compass. Wished they never had. Most are upside down and cant afford to dump it...

I rented one for a couple of day in Dallas a while back.

I couldn't wait to turn it back in.

After driving my Trac, which is enjoyable, it was torture.

Cheap interior, flimsy hardware inside and out, strange lines, uncomfortable seats after about an hour.

It was somewhat peppy but it takes more than peppy to sway me on a car/truck.

It's like a marriage...if it starts out bad, it'll end quickly and painfully.