this guy should go to church this sunday......

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary s

Reaction score
very lucky, probably driving like an ass.

btw, he ruined a real nice ride :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
The article speaks of the trailer guards as if they're effective if the car from behind hits in the center, but the problems arise when the cars hit off-center. But that Corvette looks like it hit pretty much dead-center, and the guard appears to have done almost nothing.

In this case, I have to wonder if it has less to do with whether the car hit the center of the trailer, and more to do with the fact that the 'Vette has such a low profile that, for the most part, it can fit under that guard, regardless of how straight on it hits it...

That is one lucky man. As we've all heard before, it's better to be lucky than good (or smart).

I can't believe Cali doesn't have strict rules about trailer guards. A private citizen with a lifted truck would surely catch hell for bumper height.

Being a truck driver and seeing almost every type of accident out on the road looking at the picture the dot bumper did what it was supposed to do. The Corvette driver is lucky he didn't kill himself and yes I'm blaming the him for this, far too many times I have people tailgating me so close I can't see them even after wiggling my trailer back and fourth. People need to respect a big truck and use more sense when traveling around them. I come into situations where I could easily kill or injure someone and or myself from four wheelers (cars/trucks, don't get me started on bikers) driving like I'm not even there in a 86' long 80k lb. truck. I've been ran off the road and kept it upright dozens of times to avoid reckless drivers. Don't get me wrong there are more and more "steering wheel holders" truck drivers out there most of which are foreigners that don't speak English but come here and get everything they need to become a owner operator from the gov't. Back on topic, the bumper is made to break away/ fold under to simply slow the impact not completely stay solid. The vette was going way to fast, not paying attention and has an extremely low profile which allowed it to dive under the trailer. Please for everyone's safety just pay attention and use caution around big trucks. :smack::eek:nline:

jerry i agree 100%.

what happened to the days when you would flash your brights as you pass one to let them know and they would flash back to let you know it is a safe distance to return to the lane.

i always give them room to change lanes and dont jump right in front of them while changing lanes.

Hugh, is that one lifted? I didn't think that bumper looks any higher than all the ones meeting federal standards. I just think it's because the Vette is so low, that it significantly slipped under a standard-height guard...

Bill, no, I shouldn't have used the term truck in this particular thread. I was referring to the strict automotive laws they have in Cali and restrictions on pickup trucks and my surprise that they don't have laws that require rigs to have bumpers of big fluffy pillows made of unicorn manes.

I agree with Jerry 100%. My grandfather drove for 40+ years and I learned a thing or two from him...some things my parents wouldn't approve of, some that make me a better driver, lol. His retirement was forced by an idiot that put him over the side of a bridge. Not that he couldn't have gone back to work but at 60+, he said he didn't need that **** anymore at his age.

Anyway, I always give plenty of room when I'm behind trucks and it makes me mad when someone thinks that's wasted space and gets between us. I also always wait until I can see the full truck in my rearview when passing them and put on my turn signal after that point, wait a few seconds and then change lanes. Every time I've pulled a trailer and followed that rule, they always flash me to let me know it's ok to move back over in front of them. Actually took me a while to realize that's why they were flashing me.

Without knowing the situation fully, I am inclined to believe this was the Corvette driver's fault as well. You can drive stupid in any vehicle but there's just something about a midlife crisis and a Corvette that seem to go together so perfectly that I have to believe this guy was feeling pretty b.a until his nose was inches away from a trailer. Maybe this is the incident that pushes him past that and he gets a Buick, starts buying gold coins from commercials and prepares for the rapture or death.

I agree the 'vette driver probably caused it himself.

Here in the houston area we have alot truck jockies. Not decent or seasoned drivers. Mostly because of the ports'. So they also travel the highways leaving houston.

Nonthing against those that choose to drive otr as a job. I know there are good truck drivers out there. Also some on this board. In my area though most of them drive like hell. Most big truck wrecks here are caused by the truck drivers. Going too fast, not driving in the lane they are required to. Taking curves too fast.

The worst thing that happens to me around and out side of houston, is. I will already be speeding in the lane they arent supposed to drive in. They tailgate me. They cut me off, almost taking my front fenders off.

The scariest thing is the ones hauling shipping conex's. They have a high center of gravity. The speed limit on the loops around here is 60 and 65. These guys drive at 80mph. Many times in the inside lanes. They tailgate cars that are doing 70mph. There trucks are old rattle traps, with tires that were wore out 10 years ago. I hear they are getting paid by the load. so they are in a hurry to get back to the port. So even when they leave houston area they drive like bats out hell, with no courtesy.

I know this sounds like a personal tirade. All I can say is truck drivers around here. Dont have any profesional driving courtesy. Like I remember when I was younger.

I apologize to Jerry and any other drivers we have as members. If you drove in a 100 mile radious around houston. you have to worry about 80% of the trucks. More than the stupid car drivers. It is easier to get out of their way. Than it is a big truck. I guess that is what you live with, when you live around so many shipping ports.

Well I will get off my :soap: now. Hope I didnt offend anyone. If you are a good truck driver. Be careful around houston. The local truckers dont give a damn.

Even my own small city (pasadena) outside of houston. Has started operating there own DOT police. We needed it.:btddhorse:

No offense taken Eddie, there's very few of us real old time drivers left on the road. I know I'm only 34 but I grew up with three step dads that were truckers in Oregon and Idaho and I started driving big trucks when I was eight going from Stanfield, Or. to Caldwell, Id. overnight when my step dads would get too tired (it was a simpler time back then, LOL).

I grew up respecting not only the cars, trucks and other big trucks but everything out there on the road, anything can happen at anytime so you need to be prepared and pay attention to your surroundings.

I like most real truck drivers have a Love/ Hate relationship with the road. There's no real money to be made anymore and the laws just keep getting worse making the truck driver drive more and more illegal if they want to keep their jobs but I grew up in this world (truck driving) and love it (being behind the wheel of a big rig) and atleast making sure the other drivers aorund my rig are safe. I'd rather keep driving even though there's no good money in it the have a steering wheel holder behind the wheel of another truck making the roads unsafe.

On a side note Eddie, look at the drivers around your area and I bet 95% of them are illegals and or imagrants that can't speak english and shouldn't even have a drivers license let alone a CDL but somehow still do. I've been to the Houston area hundreds of times and can tell you this is true as well as for any other major metro city area.

Honestly, I'm more afraid of motorcycles than trucks. At least I can see the trucks.

It's amazing to me that kids with $3k-$10k can buy something that can go 186 mph. My best friend grew up racing motocross from the age of 3 (multiple time state champ, etc.), is the most talented person I've ever seen on two wheels whether bicycles, scooters, mini-bikes, or a GSXR1000RR with race modifications (also should throw in his incredible unicycle skills, lol). He sold his GSXR after a year because it was "too fast" for street use and he didn't have the time or money to take it to the track or Tail of the Dragon like he'd wanted. It's crazy to see someone put a bike up on one wheel from 60mph with nothing but a flip of the wrist. That is power that should cost a lot more. Not necessarily saying regulate it more, but it certainly should cost more and bike licensing should truly prove proficiency.

Off topic, sorry. Just my own little rant about unsafe driving.

Latest posts