this is foolish

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Growing up, our Christmas tree always stayed up until January 24--but for reasons completely unrelated to the religious holidays. My youngest sister's birthday is January 25. When she was quite young, she knew her birthday was in the winter. So when the first snow fell in mid-November, she was certain it was now her birthday. Someone made the mistake of telling her, "But it's not even Christmas yet." So she waited, and Christmas came, and then December 26 came, and she was certain that it was NOW her birthday. And someone else made another mistake, and said, "But we haven't even taken down the Christmas tree yet." Well, now she was sure that the moment that tree came down, it must be her birthday. So to not disappoint her again, the tree stayed up--until the evening of January 24. She's now nearly 30, but my parents still keep their tree up every year until the evening of January 24.

And the tree would always go up on December 6--the feast day of St. Nick. And THAT, not Christmas, was the day that the stockings got filled with candy.

And Krash, I too bought a bunch of lights yesterday. Although it's not for summer use--it's for next Christmas. Why pay full price next November, when I can pay half (or less) now? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Do any of the members on here that dont believe or celebrate christmas in any way (even gift giving) have kids? just curious?

Dallas

Frank,

I think it's because christmas is a 'kids' holiday in a way... All the santa stuff, getting presents and all... Hard to tell a little kid that santa isn't real, and that the whole christmas thing is all the result of a religious day in the christian religion.

Big D,

I have one. I mentioned earlier that I use Christmas as an excuse to buy the wife something, but there is more to it. What Krash says is partly true for me - didn't want the kid left out. And also, because I've always wanted to subject her not just to my ideas on religion but her Mom's and others as well. I want her to make her own choice and IMHO it's hard to make an informed/educated decision if you do not experience at least two (dependent on subject) different views.

She is 18 now and I don't really know her opinion on the subject of religion and how it relates to the Christmas holidays. It's not something we have talked about. Whatever her belief and choice, I believe it is an informed and free choice that she made herself. I hope so.

edited spelling

grump

Don't know if anyone here has seen Dennis Leary's 'Merry F#&$ing christmas' on Comedy Central, but he has a good line in it about kids & Santa... "We lie to them and tell them that Santa, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy are real. Then they grow up and find out that they're not real, and that we lied to 'em, and then we wonder why they lie to us!!!" Actually, the whole show's got a bunch of fun stuff in it!

I, for one, do not care about the legality of when Christs' birth actually took place. Family, friends, and myself have decided to celebrate it December 25th. This world is full of many choices (eternity only 2). "I" choose to believe that while we were still sinners, God loved us so much that he sent His Son.

I feel sad when I read the posts and find so many against those who follow Christ. For me, I want to share Christ. It is no different than the posts I read about all the things members have done to their STs and want to share them. If you read something and you are not interested in what they did, you just by-pass it and go on.

BTW Merry XMas is another way we have been tricked into taking Christ out of Christmas.

Merry "Christ"mas

Jo

There is no "right not to be offended" in the Constitution, or (technically) the separation of church and state. Constitution sez "the government shall not establish a religion nor prohibit the free exercise thereof". That last part the ACLU conveniently forgets about, but they often get their way because they can afford better lawyers for a lot longer than some small town or school district.

I say Merry Christmas to everybody, on purpose. We don't wear signs saying what we believe or don't believe in. I don't disrespect other peoples' beliefs, Muslim terrorists excepted, so don't disrespect mine.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannuka, and have a great Festivus!

Jo Wainwright - Merry XMas does not remove Christ from Christmas. "X" has been the symbol of Christ since the very early days of Christianity, long predating Christmas. The first letter for Christ in those days was "X".

From www.psalm40.org

The symbol itself may have been suggested by the miraculous multiplication of the loaves and fishes or the repast of the seven Disciples, after the Resurrection, on the shore of the Sea of Galilee (John, xxi, 9), but its popularity among Christians was due principally, it would seem, to the famous acrostic consisting of the initial letters of five Greek words forming the word for fish (IXOYE), which words briefly but clearly described the character of Christ and His claim to the worship of believers: Iesous Christos Theou Yios Soter, i.e. Jesus Christ, Son of God, Saviour. (See the discourse of Emperor Constantine, "Ad coetum Sanctorum" c. xviii.) It is not improbable that this Christian formula originated in Alexandria, and was intended as a protest against the pagan apotheosis of the emperors; on a coin from Alexandria of the reign of Domitian (81-96) this emperor is styled Theou Yios (Son of God).

Also, Snopes - http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/xmasabbr.asp

The graves of Christians were identified with the sign of the fish or an "X".

I learned this in Christian school along time ago. Now, amza your friends with your knowledge of Christian history.

are you fine people in the U.S. going thrue the same silly issue? Here in Canada there is a big debate about getting rid of the saying "Merry Christmas"! instead using simply "Happy Holidays",,,the reason is of course that non christians are offended by "Merry Christmas"!! As there is a federal election coming up, this has been a hot topic, and believe it or not,,,,,,merry Xmas may be a thing of the past! I believe in multi-cultural society,,,,but this is pathetic.

I agree that it is pathetic that the few people that whine, bitch and cry about it affects the rest of us. If a person doesn't believe in a God or a Higher Power, that is their prerogotive and more power to them, that's their choice. Nobody is forcing religion or their beliefs upon them when somebody says Merry Christmas to them any more than when the say Good Morning or Good Afternoon to them. If somebody says Merry Christmas to you and you don't believe in it, is that really a reason to be offended, I don't think so. I think it is more an act of being courteous than it is an act of somebody forcing you to believe in their beliefs. This is not very different from the Politically Correct people trying to remove the word "God" from the pledge or banning prayer in school. If a person doesn't like the word "God" in the pledge, they may choose not to say that word if, or when they recite the pledge, and school children should be allowed the choice to say a prayer if they so choose to do so.

Mama always said things to avoid on the internet were topics of Religion and Politics. Obviously this one is about both, lol.

This political correctness crap is getting way out of hand, not only in the USA, but Canada as well as other nations. You have corporations like Home Depot and Lowes that no longer sell Christmas Trees or Christmas decorations, they sell Holiday Trees... I for one didn't buy a 'holiday tree" or "holiday lights" from either of them, nor will I.

Oh, and BTW, even the Devil believes in God.

Tom R.,

Nobody is forcing religion or their beliefs upon them when somebody says Merry Christmas to them any more than when the say Good Morning or Good Afternoon to them.

If this is the case, then it's also true that nobody is forcing a lack of religion or their beliefs when someone says Happy Holidays! So why is it that such a significant number of Christians take so much offense when someone (or some business) uses this phrase???? There certainly seem to be far more people who get offended at the use of "Happy Holidays" than there are people who get offended at "Merry Christmas".

When people/businesses say "Happy Holidays" or "Seasons Greetings", it doesn't mean that they're trying to convert you to be a Jew or an Atheist, nor does it mean that they have any disrespect for anyone's Christian beliefs. It's actually just the opposite--it's showing that we can respect people of all faiths (or lack thereof).

However, you're absolutely right about the "Holiday Tree", as the tree really isn't a part of any culture's holiday celebration (that I'm aware of) other than Christian/Christmas. (Lights, on the other hand, can be part of the holiday season for many groups, so I see no reason to take issue with someone referring to them as "Holiday Lights".)

Q, yes, hate is much easier than love. It's easier to perform, and it's also easier to see in others, regardless of whether it actually exists or not. You seem to be finding it very easy to see hate of Christians in places where it simply doesn't exist. The fact that someone doesn't want to be evangelized, nor do they want to participate in your pogroms, doesn't mean that they hate you or your faith.
We are attacked by Satan on a daily basis. And also by the devil's influence. And simply by those that choose to hate because it makes them feel better, because their own lives are unhappy. We can do nothing but pray for them.

Well put--and based on that, I will pray for you.

--Bill

I do get sort of bent when retailers won't use the word "Christmas" when that's the holiday being celebrated that's responsible for maybe half their annual sales. Have a little respect, ya know?

I think I am a little confused ere (so what's new?). I don't think that anyone has said that a person who is greeted with a merry christmas and is not religious is obligated to reply in any specific manner. I guess a "thanks", "happy holidays", or " no thanks I gave at the office" is a perfectly acceptable response.

I grew up in Forest Hills New York, a predominately Jewish neighborhood at the time. When someone wished me a happy Hannukah I didn't get offended. I didn't feel that they were trying to convert me or force their beliefs upon me.

Let's face it, it is a christmas tree, not a holiday bush, a non denominational shrub or anything else. Why is that so difficult to comprehend or accept? If it is a holiday tree, then what holiday does it represent and when did this holiday adopt a tree as a symbolic gesture? It's a christmas tree!:D

Having said that, I am not forcing you or anybody else to believe, accept or condone anything. If you call it a christmas tree in the secular sense, I'll be happy. See how easy I am?

All those that can't accept this will burn forever in hell, have their CEL go on, ther MAS crude up, and the OD light flash!! Just kidding guys (and girls to be PC), lighten up and have a great new year.:D:D:D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Latest posts