This just on the news

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They came out with Chrysler list today and GM will be tomorrow. There were six in our tri state area, none in Henderson, but two in Evansville, In. In the interview the owners said they could no longer sell our service Chrysler brand vehicles. The date was some time in June. All the dealers they talked to sold other brands and were going to stay in business selling them. I also noticed that they were only selling one one the three Chrysler brands. That is one of the things they said the were going after besides the ones that were not selling many vehicles. Well right now I would say that would every car lot in the US! I don't know what the final count was, but at one time it was thought as many as 800 would be on Chrysler's list. There is said to be 2000 on GM list.

i

Been on the news for quite a while now bill.

IMO, it's a good thing... Other than the 2500+ X's per dealers employees without jobs!!!!

GM should have been shrunk decades ago. Horrible for workers at GM, but there's no need to produce the same vehicle for four of the brands. GM and Chrysler can't compete in their current incarnations, so yes, change needs to happen. Given that Chrysler is a private company, they should've been saved by Cerberus who bought them; but lo and behold, they found they did not have the money to do so. So, if they want the government to bail them out with "our" money, then they should have a big say in their future. Hell, I was at Kmart H.Q. all through their bankruptcy and saw first hand, what corporate abuse really does. That aside, we all gotta feel for the people, losing their jobs; no matter what our opinions are, on their restructuring. Let's just hope, that it works out right and they become profitable and competitive again.

Don't worry! Obama, the messiah, the One, will fix everything!!:)

Oh, wait a minute. He is the one responsible for these closings.:angry:

Unfortunately it will get worse.

We were discussing a little bit yesterday at work about how Obama is making sure the warranties are still covered for new GM and Chrysler, so If I buy one of those (not that I ever would) aren't I paying for my own warranty on top of the sticker price? At least with sticking with Ford, I don't have to pay for my own warrranty!:banana:

I know the warranty isn't completely free, but if it is worked into the sticker price of all manufacturers, and Obama is using Taxpayers money to pay for the GM/Chrysler Warranty, then they are double dipping me for warranty. And actually Even if I buy a new Ford, I'm still paying for the idiots that are buying the GM/Chrysler cars too.

Well, Dodge dealer down the road from me, here in Rochester Hills, MI is closing, as well as Briminham Chrysler/Jeep at the Troy Motor Mall. Got the local news on now, hope to hear about the GM dealerships. As bad as this is, it would be worse, if both company's kept going the way they were. Just means, MI unemployment tops the 13% unemployment level.

the trickle down effect will be hellasious, will effect millions of people.

Yes My fiance babysits alot of kids from parent who work at factories, they lose their job, she loses hers, Thus a big decline in our income, HOLY CRAP!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Aren't most dealerships independently owned/operated? If so, how can GM or Chrysler close them? True, they can refuse to send them any more cars--which will force many of them to close. But ultimately, I would think that the final decision about whether they close, or remain open as a used-only dealership, or remain open as a repair shop, etc., is up to the individual owners of those businesses--not GM or Chrysler. What am I not understanding?

Bill V, the dealers being closed performed poorly. As with any franchise, performance is part of the contract. The "facility" can remain open, it just won't be a Chrysler/GM dealership.

Les, I guess that's my point. If my understanding is correct, then GM and Chrysler can only sever ties with the dealerships, not close them.

I saw on the news this morning that it wasn't poor porforming dealers.

one dealer was in the top ten percent or so.

He is calling for an investigation.

Obama politics? who knows but he is part of the Chicago Political

Machine...