Thought on joining the Military (nowadays)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Upper Midwest has less military bases now than it did during the Cold War. There were missile silos scattered over thousands of square miles of that area. If the existence of military bases is a prerequisite for people to learn about the military, I am unsure of why the local bias in Bill V's hometown is less than it was back in the Cold War era.

There is a stereotype in this country that all enlistees are poor, uneducated, or from broken families. That is far from the truth. I have met children of millionaires during my career, who wanted to serve their country and earn their own way, instead of just taking handouts from mommy and daddy. I have worked with Airmen who entered the military that had their four-year degree before enlisting in the military (I never figured out why he didn't join as an officer, but I did respect his degree). The majority of people in my office have parents who are still together.

I came from a middle class family and had 42 credit hours of college when I joined. I was 25 when I enlisted, and my parents divorced when I was 23. Their divorce had no impact on my choice to join (I actually had signed up seven years earlier, but my parents talked me out of following through on that the night before I was to leave for basic training). My primary reasons for joining were that I like the military lifestyle I experienced when my dad was in the Navy, I needed a better paying job to support my new bride and future family, and I wanted some stability in my life. I also wanted to do my part to bring about the end of the Cold War. I had four college semesters of Russian language when I joined and wanted to be a translator. I didn't get that job, because of a hearing loss identified during my military inprocessing exam.

During my career I finished my bachelors degree, and earned an associates along the way. I am beginning my Masters degree in Oct, and look forward to retirement in a few years. My marriage broke up partially due to the stress of being overseas, but I do provide a very good living environment to my daughter who lives with me during the school year. The training and knowledge I received from the military will set me up for success in the civilian world.

Bill V,

It appears that I am not the only one who “Presumed” you were equating education, intelligence, or financial situations as having a bearing on discipline and teamwork.

Again, I must say that discipline and teamwork have nothing to do with education and the financial situation of anyone.

In the military, you do your job because that is what is expected and your teammates are depending upon you to do your job. You don’t want to let your teammates down. Many of the young people who are well educated would not even understand that. There is nothing in it for them!

Most of the people who have not been in the military and would not join the military because the pay is too low, the jobs are too risky, or they can't just do what they want, are too egotistical, self-centered and feel they could not possibly stoop to such a level. They are totally into “Me first”. They cannot stand following orders of someone who out-ranks them because they thing they are better than most other people.

Employers who claim to want teamwork or stress teamwork often create an environment that caters to All-Star players because there is no time for true teamwork.

Too many Employers hire the best people they can get, and assume that makes teamwork. They only have a highly talented group of individual employees, but not necessarily a team.

Teamwork does not happen because you were hired. Teamwork grows out of working together selflessly and helping all the members of the team learn from eachother. Most businesses don’t have the time for a team to train together and work together. Everyone is trying to be sure that they get their part done and if a team member falls behind, that’s not their problem. These talented and brilliant individuals often cannot, and will not accept group accolades if they think they did more work and are not recognized individually in some way. They quit and move on to another employer who will pay them more and appreciate their talent. They are not concerned about helping any other team members because they are his competition. So in reality, the employer created a work environment that was hostile to teamwork…exactly the opposite of what he thought he was creating.

In the military, you get individuals assigned to your unit that don't necessarily have all the skills or experience, but you are still expected to get the job done. You cannot just fire that person because they cannot perform everything as fast or as well as you can. You and your team must train him to be an effective team member as quickly as possible.

Most people want to learn things that they don’t know, but many people who have talent, or skills don’t think anyone can teach them anything. They already know it all.

Saying that someone can get an education regardless of their financial situation is the type of individual attitude that is totally contrary to teamwork. Because you were smart enough or talented enough to do it, then anyone can do it

The military teaches you to help your teammate. You never know when you will need his help and you will want to know he will be there, willing and able to help.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
At least the military is an option now. Back in my day, I was drafted, as most everyone else. I put my time in and did my best while I was in, E-5 in 9 months. 2 years and gone !!!!!

When I got drafted, I had a pregnant wife a good job -- too bad -- 2 years of my life taken.

The military is different now. At least all that serve are doing so by choice !!!!! Many THANKS

Terry

Last edited by a moderator:
TSSS, from one vet to another it's thanks to you for not taking the easy way out and going to Canada. I have two uncles and a father that actually were already in (Marines) for that one. I searved during Desert Storm/Shield and it was cookies and cake to what you did. Thanks. (that goes for all Viet Vets out there. Koodos!);)