Throttle Position Sensor

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Tucker

Reaction score
Todd, or anyone else for that matter,

I've bought a used Zabteck TB from a member here and I'm having one heck of a time getting the TPS off my old TB. The screws have rusted to a halt and after extensive dousing in WD-40, I still cannot get the little bastards to budge. They are on the verge of being stripped so I'm looking at finding a cheap alternative to going to my local Ford dealer for the $91 replacement part.

I can find TPS for half that cost on ebay, but not sure of the equivalent engine to my ST (2003 4x4 XLT).

Any help? (or anyone have a used TPS in good condition?) :huh:

edit: I should mention that I've called the local Auto Recyclers, but they will not sell a TPS without a TB, so I'm looking at about $150 that route.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 30 used ones here...

What i would do IS cut a slot in the heads with a dremel tool or hack saw and use a good flat head driver...

IF not, Cut a X in the head and chip it off.... Take off the sensor and use new screws....

I supply all my TBs' with NEW screws for this reason....

I could always tell you the size and thread..

Todd Z

Todd Z

Good suggestions. I have less than stellar tools right now, but I'm sure there is a decent hacksaw laying around in my Dad's garage somewhere. I might go pick up a Dremel cut off disc for my drill just to make it easier.

LOL are you going to make me beg for the size and thread of the screws you usually send?

If so, PLEAAASE tell me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drilling the heads off is pretty easy as the heads of the screws will actually hold the drill bit into the center of the head until it gets a cone shape going which will further hold it in the center.

Pretty easy task.

two min. job. a no brainer.Of course you can complicate the hell out of it, as said above. just take a 1/4 drill bit, drill untill the head spins off, than drill a little deeper.

Than remove the sensor, than reinstall, this is not brain surgury, just do it

Screw:

10 x 1 1/2 Pan heat Phillips with a sheet metal thread

Hillman part # HPM172398

DO NOT get the stainless steel.

Todd Z

Alright Bill, I'll drill the screws off. Holy!!!

I have never done that before and i'm quite a noob so thanks for the explanation Coastie.

Todd,

Thanks for the info, as always

shaun, sometimes it is the little stuff, that drive you nuts. Been there done that. Dont let these guys get to you....:lol::cool:

Just trying to be helpfull:(

just like my Girl kid calls yesterday,DAD, I need to hang a picture, what should I get to do it.

Kid, you have a complete toolbox I put in order the day you Finally moved away:banana:

OPEN toolbox, find ziplock bag labeled picture hangers, find hammer (has a wood handle)

Take hammer, note that nail in hanger is at an angle, using the metal end of hammer, pound nail into wall, hang picture, call back you have a problem, she hung up on me:eek:

You taught her well, Bill. ; )

Latest posts