Tickets on Turnpikes?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Lang

Reaction score
I just made a run across the Ohio Turnpike, and noticed a couple of speed traps, and people getting pulled over for speeding. These were no where near work zones.

It seems to me that if you have to pay to access the road then there shouldn't be any way you can "speed" on it. If their police department really needs the money, then there are other ways to obtain it. Ways that feel less underhanded.

Just a rant...:banana:

Ohio is known for this. Unfortuantly, communities are using "safety" as a form of taxation.

Pretty pathetic.

Tom

KL,

Of course your argument only holds if one can be convinced that there is absolutely no benefit to public safety by enforcing speed limits on toll roads. I believe there is some amount of increased public safety by having and enforcing a speed limit on such roads. Of course, I can't prove that, just my opinion.

However, I would agree that the major reason for having these speed traps is probably to increase revenues.

TJR

Most states don't like local cops patroling the Interstate highways, but they do. About 8 years ago, Texas passed a law that if local police set up speed traps on Texas state highways, they could not keep the fines, they could only keep a small $15-$20 administration fee. That forced on small town that ran a 24 hour speed trap just a few miles outside of Fort Hood, TX to go broke and fired their whole police department. Nearly 90% of the revenue was coming from their speed traps.

Oddly enough, many of the cities and towns are in financial straits and ignoring the law by setting up speed traps on the Interstate. What they do is set up speed traps and charge higher fines and then don't report them to the state of Texas. I got a ticket about 3.5 years ago in Texarkana, TX when the speed limit was reduced from 70 MPH to 60 MPH as you got within the city limits. The fine was over $200, which I paid. That ticket was never reported to the State and has never been recorded on my drivers license and I have never been assessed any points for that ticket??? That's when I figured out what they are doing.

Even when the local police are within their juristictions, they are setting up a lot more speed traps to boost the town's revenue.

Last weekend I went to Dallas and during my 100 mile return trip on I-35, I must have seen at least 10 cops who had already pulled someone over, and only about half of them were State Police...That's not to mention the number of local cops I spotted hiding just over the crest of a hill, etc

I agree with Caymen's statement...They are using tickets to increase their revenue, not to improve safety. I also know that cops will give tickets on toll roads...The fact that you pay extra to use the road does not mean you are allowed to speed. If there is a speed limit sign, you can be ticketed if you exceed it.

....Rich

Got a ticket from the Old Forge PA police while on the NE extension of the PA turnpike (Interstate 476). The cop said he followed me and matched my speed at 86. He was either mistaken, inept, or a liar. I was speeding...maybe doing 76 or 77 in a 65, but not 86...not even close. Tried to fight it, got the speed reduced by the magistrate. Still cost me points and bucks.

Not cool, but if you do the crime...

TJR

set up speed traps and charge higher fines and then don't report them to the state of Texas

Richard,

That must be why I have been seeing the locals, on US 59 north east.

For many years they left it up to TXDPS. Now I see the locals again, when I go to Lake Livingston.

there are obvious speed traps all over the country.

sure, they are revenue winners for the community/state.

when i think of a speed trap, it is usually a stretch of road that runs a consistent speed limit until the speed limit reduces significantly. there is always a warning sign of the change in limit, but the majority has an issue complying.

a while back driving on RT 301 florida from I-10 to gainesville there were a few speed traps that even had warnings on billboards. a tad over the limit, i was driving thru one in a "pack" of about 5 cars and 4 out of 5 of us had florida tags. who got pulled over? the guy with nj tags who was in the middle.:sad:

as far as speeding on a toll road and it is a consistent speed limit, getting a ticket is a lack of luck or plain stupidity.

I am usually above the speed limit on the interstates and also on the few toll roads out here.

At least out here, the toll roads are usually built to alleviate some sort of problem. Maybe a shortcut is provided, or a congested area is bypassed, or maybe it was a way to get a route built before the state finally got around to putting it in their budget.

For whatever reason the road was built, the toll is the license that lets you USE the road and it helps to pay for and maintain the road. All existing traffic laws are still in effect. I don't understand how anyone would expect that the toll would be a cart blanc permission to speed (or break any other traffic laws for that matter).

Now Speed Traps are whole other issue. While a speed trap in the strictest definition of that term I believe is not 'permitted' by the vehicle code here in CA. However I am sure there are some out there and most drivers who are caught don't realize that they 'may' have been ticketed illegally. They just pay the fine and get on with it. I am not sure how the vehicle code defines it. I think it has something to do with difference between the speed limits of the trap zone and the road leading up to it and the reasonableness of the new lower limit. Most of it is probably a gray area. Like the locals extending their slower speed zones out a lot further into the rural area before it is really necessary and the driver are caught by not slowing down soon enough.

Uncle Bob,

Yes the laws may vary slightly on what is a speed trap and what may or may not be considered legal...particularly when entered a reduced speed zone...how far into the reduced speed zone can they set up a speed trap??? I'm sure most cops will clearly tell you that you must not enter the new reduced speed zone at any speed higher than the new limit. So in theory they can clock you right as you pass into the new speed zone.

My gripe with the speed trap on I-30 in Texarkana, TX is that they have only a single sign that the speed has dropped from 70 MPH to 60 MPH. There are no warning signs, and it's very easy to miss that sign when passing or driving along side large trucks.

When I drove thru that area again I purposely stayed in the right lane and watched for the signs...The is no warning signs of a reduced speed limit, and after the single 60 MPH speed limit sign, there are no other speed limit signs until you cross the Texas border into Arkansas, which is about 5 miles.

I told the officer that I saw him, my radar detector saw him but, I did not slow down because I was going 70 MPH and did not see any sign reducing the speed. He said the 60 MPH sign was back up the road about 1/2 a mile from where he was clocking cars. I think he very well knew that some people would not see the sign because their view was blocked by large trucks and he was in the perfect spot to take advantage of the situation.

My issue is that if the speed was reduced for "Safety" reasons, would it not be in the interest of "Safety" to insure that the signs are on both sides of the road where viewing them will not be blocked by larger vehicles, and shouldn't they be posted more frequently??? That's why I feel that these kinds of speed traps are strictly for producing "Revenue" and have nothing to do with "Safety"

Since I got that ticket back in 2008, I have noticed that many highways, including Interstates are now posting a yellow caution signs to warn you of the new speed limit ahead. These signs are posted on both sides of the road so your view will not be blocked in either lane. I think this is the best way to warn drivers of a speed reduction ahead. I think it would be good to have some sort of pavement marking that says what the new reduced speed limit is. These signs or pavement markings woud only need to be at locations where the speed limit is reduced.

...Rich

RL,

I know what you mean about, no reduce speed ahead signs.

From my post above. The locals on US 59 north, set traps again right after the 60mph signs. No warning. If your view was blocked, your it. It was Patton Village and a few others right together. That caused texas law makers to pass the laws, they did. Locals stayed off the highway for a few years.

Now the locals are at it again. Between humble and lake livingston. There a quite a few 70mph down to 60mph signs, then back to 70mph. It is really crazy were some of the 60mph signs are. They really dont make sense in some places. The highway is now 3 and 4 lanes in these areas. Just, revenue getters.

I know I speed, not aywhere near as much or as fast as I used to but the best way not to get a speeding ticket is simply don't speed. Don't blame the police when you get tagged, they weren't breaking the law, you were, simply put.

I agree with TJR about the police trying to jack up the speed over what you were actually traveling.

I used to drive OTR and our trucks were governed at 68mph, the Texas local boy tried saying I was doing 78mph in a 65, I callled B.S. right then and there, called his dept and my company I drove for, needless to say the deputy got a big ear lashing when the sherriff showed up.

:smack::smack::bwahaha:

Jerry,

Most cops are more than willing to show you the speed indicated on the radar gun, and I found many will even drop a few MPH off the clocked speed if it's just over a certain threshold where the tickets go up, or they assess more points..ie. In Texas, if you are going faster than 12 MPH or 15 MPH (not sure which it is) you are not eligible to take the Driver's Ed class to avoid the fine and the points. I don't think that law applies to commercial vehicles or 18 wheelers.

The fact that I was speeding is not the issue I'm complaining about. I think if there is a reduced speed ahead and it is put there for safety reasons, then it should be more important to notifiy drivers of the reduced speed with adequate signage so that there is not reason for anyone to say "I did not see the sign". Too many police are preying on drivers and issuing tickets because they know that many drivers in the left lane may not see the sign when passing other vehicles at the previously legal speed.

If you are driving an 18 wheeler, you are sitting much higher than regular traffic and more often in the right hand lane...so seeing the speed limit signs is not an issue for most truck drivers, but your truck may be blocking others from seeing the sign

I think Texas is recongnizing that fact and as I previously mentioned, they are putting up on both sides of the road to warn drivers of the reduced speed limits...and I applaud them for that. When they ticket drivers for not seeing a "Reduce Speed" sign, then that no longer is a safety issue but is simply a Revenue source for that local community.

...Rich

The fact that I was speeding is not the issue I'm complaining about. I think if there is a reduced speed ahead and it is put there for safety reasons, then it should be more important to notifiy drivers of the reduced speed with adequate signage so that there is not reason for anyone to say "I did not see the sign". Too many police are preying on drivers and issuing tickets because they know that many drivers in the left lane may not see the sign when passing other vehicles at the previously legal speed.

If you are driving an 18 wheeler, you are sitting much higher than regular traffic and more often in the right hand lane...so seeing the speed limit signs is not an issue for most truck drivers, but your truck may be blocking others from seeing the sign

Maybe it's a MN thing, but typically there are signs on the left and right hand side of the road that will alert drivers of a slower speed limit approaching, and sometimes they will give distance, i.e. 1/4 mile ahead.

Unless I read the original post wrong, what you're trying to say is that if you pay a toll to use the road, there should be NO speed limits? Or the posted speed limits are just decorations, and should not be patrolled? That's a brilliant idea!! Wait... While you're at it... Since you pay to ride airplanes, let's do away with security!!! YAYYYY it's gonna be GREAT!!! Time to move out ofthe country

Andy,

Yes, that's what I am saying, but when I got my ticket back in 2008 they did not have signs on both sides of the road to warn both lanes of the reduced speed ahead. Now I am seeing these dual warning signs going up on all the interstates and most major state highways in Texas over the past few years. I suspect that the state was seeing what the local cops were setting up speed traps to catch unsuspecting drivers, and this is their way to try to stop it.

....Rich

being a masshole anyone who is form the area knows you cant do the speed limit on certain highways like 93 0r 95 if you did that you would be rear ended like mad the speed limit is supposed to be 55 but people easily go 65 or higher with out much repercussion the only people who get nailed are the ones driving crazy like rapidly switching lanes, not signaling, cutting people off, etc ive been driving for almost 16 years and have been pulled over once for making an illegal u turn

xero2099,

I am not saying that you have to do the speed limit...I am saying that you should get in the right hand lane and move with the flow of traffic so that you stay the same distance back from the vehicle in front of you. That will mean that you do not have to slow down and speed up which eats up your gas mileage.

This does not work in high traffic areas and especially not in rush-hour traffic....

Everyone claims that you cannot drive at the speed limit in their area, but that is only because they don't have the patience to do it. If the speed limit is 65 MPH most people are doing around that speed, but the idiots who want to go 70 MPH or 75 MPH are darting in an out of traffic thinking they are getting there faster. When you average the number of times they speed up and slow down, they are not going any faster than anybody else and probably only saved about 15 seconds with the added expense of several dollars of extra fuel wasted.

....Rich

Rich my original statement was meant to be in humor but i can see that it never made it off the ground...sigh:eek:fftopic: I agree completely with staying in the right lane infact thats what i do most of the time

Latest posts