Ticking noise from Engine

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Feck

Reaction score
I have 2001 ST with about 98K miles. I recently started hearing a faint ticking noise from the engine. It sounds like it's coming from the drivers side valve area. The ST has performed fine and haven't notice ANY difference in performance since the ticking noise. I changed the plugs a month ago along with shocks and oil change. Again, no performance problems just the faint ticking noise. Could this be a valve that starting to go? Is there an issue driving the ST with the noise? Should I have a professional take a look at it?

Thanks,

Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
May be the tensioner. The timing chain slaps the cover and causes a ticking sound.

Fairly common problem on the ST. Some folks here have had it replaced by Ford, others changed to a thicker syntic oil and it's helped out since the tension is kept in check by oil, while others have just learned to live with it. Someone else here with more insight will provide better info and advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds to me like a classic valve ticking. the sound is very methodical like the timing of the value working. I do have the timing chain rattle but haven't had that fixed and that sound is more like a "chain". This is a "tick" that is faint at idle and less noticable at higher RPM's

Doug

Take a look under the hood at night, with the motor running. Look at all the plug wires carefully. See if you see any sparks. You might have a plug wire 'leaking'. That makes a ticking noise.

If you have to change the required oil grade to "fix" a problem you are not "fixing" the problem, you are fnding a way to ignore it. I would try to look into it further, get your timing belt checked and go to the dealer to look at your TSB's, they should do it all for free.