Time to replace tires. Suggestions?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
My Goodyear Fortera Silent Armors have almost 60K miles on them so I'm looking for replacements.

I live in Southern California and do NO off-roading whatsoever, I have factory 16" wheels, and 2WD. I liked the grip and noise levels of the Forteras but I want something that will not decrease mpg like the Forteras did. Also, my budget is in the $140 range for each tire.

Thanks in advance!

Tires do not decrease mpg, their diameter and stiffness alters the correct speed and rolling resistance that the truck sees. I have an '02 2wd trac, the factory tires gave me 23mpg on a trip, doing 68 on mixed terrain. my speedo also read 3 mph high... My tires I run now (LT245/75/16) make the speedo read dead nuts accuate, compared with portable radars that our local fuzz sets up. I get 20 mpg soft pedaling around town on highway, going to work 22 miles each way with the 245's. A handling tire will be stiffer and have less rolling resistance.. My next tires will be Coooper Discoverers... Aggeressive tread.... The original Michilens were good, but they were pricey... BF goodrich's would be my secont choice..

Try checking out TreaDepot.com.

I looked there for tire prices and found the cheapest prices around. I wanted the Goodyear DuaraTrac's they had them priced at $159 a tire, went to the local GoodYear dealer, told them the price and they gave them to me for $146 a tire.

I bought 33x12.50x15's just so you know. Always good to shop around and try to price match locally, it works.

:banana:

I have Cooper tires on my ST. They seem like a very sold tire. Had them for over a year and I still like them.

STanner, tires can cause you to drop MPG's. That is why they now make tires with "low rolling resistance".

Tom

i think i mentioned that in my reply...:supercool:

what coopers do you have?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been thinking about getting a set of 235-65/18 Kuhmo Solus KL21

tires for $108 each. Seem to be rated very good....any comments?

I replaced the POS OEM GY Wrangler's on my '04 Trac shortly aftery buying it with Fortera Silent Armors. Had one of the SA's blow out a sidewall at about 30K miles. That made me leery of the SA's, so I replaced 'em with a set of Michelin LTX M/S's. They've been great. Not real noisy, and great traction in all weathers.

Firestone Destination LE's - I also have the factory 16" rims.

I have had them on my ST for almost a year now, with VERY little wear showing on them.

They are a less agressive tread than the AT's, are quiet, and EXCELLENT traction in dry, wet, & snow so far.

BFG Long Trails are a good on-road tire.

Firestone Destination LE's are good too but the reviews on TireRack.com are all over the place on them regarding noise. I have Destination A/T's which are very quiet for an A/T, although you probably don't need something that aggressive.

I bough kuhmos for the wifes car, they wore out very fast... 20,000 miles...

+1 of BFG, I had Kelly safari Trex, nice inexpensive good tire..

MICHELIN LTX M/S w/raised white outlined letters

Scott what size and type of michelins were on your rig that you got 23 mpg? I am taking off on a long trip and am going to replace my tires before I go.

Latest posts