Timing chain

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am contemplating changing my timing chain on my 01. I have been researching and found a few different kits with big price differences. Some kits are just chain , tensioner ,and guide. The other kits are cassettes, tensioner, washers, guides, and chain. How much have you guys paid to have your changed? I do all my own work but and i really don't feel like doing this now cause its hot and i have a new 5 day old daughter at home to spend time with. If its a small fortune i will break down and do it though. And one final question for those that have done it. Are there any special tips or tricks that might make this easier. Thanks

I've done more than a few of these. Yank the engine and it goes pretty smoothly...you'll also need the tools for timing the cams. FYI book time is 20 hours to change all the timing chains adn the reason for engine removal is the timing chain on the backside of the motor you can't get to with the engine in.

Ok thanks im also contemplating trading it in for an F150. If im going to get this kind of mpg i might as well be able to pull a car trailer. I've had it for 4 years and it has been great, but i have a tranny leak, horrible noise from engine (i think its the timing chain), destroyed drivers seat, door locks only work sometimes, and while i was under it changing rearend grease i noticed rotted out body mounts and rear sway bar endlink bushings. I think its time for a change rather than dump a bunch of money into it and i don't want to pull the engine for a timing chain.

I would fix everything but the timing chains. From the research I've done if you can live with the noise then your are not doing any real harm. Many of these engines last many hundred of thousands of miles w/o ever changing the timing chain. I'm at 120,000 miles and I'm gonna run it till it blows up. I had a 2001 Ranger that I had the factory change them under warranty, they had the truck a month and had both heads rebilt because the factory tech miss timed the engine twice and bent the valves. That tells me it's not any easy backyard mechanic type of job. And if your gonna pull the motor out might as well drop a rebilt motor in that has no miles on it instread a high mileage motor with new timing chains.

The "E" engine was a bad design. I had 190,000 when my chain jumped and the truck quit. I was given the choice to replace the cassettes (correct way) or going with a long block replacement. I chose the long block replavement. It was a little more expensive that way, but I got a better warrenty. After 18,000 I had to have the engine replaced again. They missed something in the cooling system and I had coolant coming out from under the intake. I am glad i went with the long block replacement, because this time it didn't cost me a dime.

If you are mecahnically inclined, surf the net and get a block to change yourself. Otherwise, trading vehicle is less of a headache.

Latest posts