Tire choices

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sefus sefus

Reaction score
So I knew my alignment was off but when I finally looked at my tires, the inside edges of the front two were worn through the steel. Kind of had an Oh Crap moment since I just got back from a trip out of town on them. So now obviously I'm buying new tires.

I hate hate hate not having traction in the snow and ice which we have a lot of here. I'm doing 98% paved road driving half of that in winter conditions, the other half is simple off road to get to camping spots.

I'm good on maintance but want AT's that I dont have to rotate too frequently. I also dont really want two sets of tires - one for summer, one for winter - so AT's are for me.

Now I've been researching and have a few questions from those who've been in this spot.

First, its an 01 with 255's on it now. I would love another little bit of height for ground clearance so I was wanting to go with a 265 but read an off hand remark on here that someone had to use a spacer to get a 265 to fit. Is that the case?

Secondly is brand. I know everyone has their own favorites and experiences and driving styles but I get conflicting reports from reviews so let me run down my thoughts and get yours.

I've had BFG's and was not at all impressed, wont go back to em.

Have had on a 4runner and currently have Wildcat AT's and they arent bad. LONG life but wasnt too happy this last winter with them on the Trac - wanted to atribute it to the brakes I havent looked at yet so still kind of a question mark.

Had and LOVED Toyos AT's but they are spendy.

Looking at Yokohama ATS as an economical alternative but lots of mixed reviews on tirerack.com. At least I'm not seeing a life span with out a lot of rotating and winter driving is what a lot of people are complaining about.

So long post short, thoughts on the 265's needing spacers and based on my experiences, recomendations on tires?

Thanks!

-Sefus

You want to be impressed go Michelin LTX. I have the M/S Hands down, they stick to the ground. My definition of off road is my driveway so i didn't go for the AT

I bought mine at discount tire direct.com not only do they match anyones price...free shipping!

3e2ebc53ee4a203d5f748bb0da080cf8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sefus,

I am running 265 BFG ATs. I'm not sure why you said you weren't impressed with BFG AT's as I find them incredible. They are great on the highway and fantastic off road.

I have spacers on my wheels just because I like the aggresive look that it gives the truck. I haven't tried squeezing the tires on without spacers, but I assume it would be pretty close to what I'm experiencing now. I have a slight rub at full turn. I would think the slight rub would be more accentuated though.

And no, there are no problems with the spacers despite what some of the wimps say.

CaptKirk is VERY correct about the BFGs in snow.

If you do a lot of driving in the snow (which I do), the BFGs do the trick and then some. I RARELY have to flip into 4x4 in order to get through large buildups of snow.

You want to be impressed go Michelin LTX. I have the M/S Hands down, they stick to the ground. My definition of off road is my driveway so i didn't go for the AT

I bought mine at discount tire direct.com not only do they match anyones price...free shipping!

I'm also looking at the Michelin LTX series. I'm still on the fence between the MS vs the AT. At first I was leaning towards the MS for the same reason; I'm rarely off road. However, if you do a side by side comparison on tirerack.com, every parameter is very close, with the slight edge going to the AT's. The prices are also comparable within a few bucks. So it looks like a toss up. If you like a slightly more agressive look, the AT's have the edge. Also, if you're in the snow belt, the AT's may be slightly better

See the below Tire Rack comparison between the MS and the AT. As a baseline I also included the OE Goodyear tires.

2bc3be823d1aecb37496244c3b2713aa.jpg

Judging by the majority of opinions on this post and many previously @ MySt.

Survey says MICHELIN is the popular choice and preferred tire. They DO command a premium price by comparison.

"You get what you pay for" REALLY applies here. Your 4000+ pound ST rides on these four small

"footprints" of rubber. IMO, the most important safety feature on ANY vehicle. Brakes also.

Was seriously considering the GoodRICH AT "TOUR" Series. I have no intention to "off road" and it NEVER snows on Oahu. (Honolulu)

BFG always had a "softer" compound tire, including their popular "Radial T/A", they continue to sell today in limited sizes.

What you gain in traction, you USUALLY lose in durability and long term wear.

Would appreciate input on the widest width size I can use on stock 16" rims WITHOUT spacers or adapters. 2005 XLS RWD lowered 3" using torsion keys and blocks. I'm thinking 245 or 255's without cutting or "fender burn".

Thanks Again.

What you gain in traction, you usually lose in durability and long term wear.

Not necessarily true. Case in point; I have been running Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza's for over 3 yrs. now, and they have performed out standingly in all types of weather. They were the top rated tire on TireRack.com according to their survey results for light truck / SUV tires, and yes I did pay a premium price for them. And, after over 3 yrs. the Alenza's still have at least 2 - 3 yrs. of tread left on them.

"You get what you pay for" REALLY applies here.

If I were living in Hawaii I would be looking at the top 2 - 3 tires on Tirerack.com. The General Grabber HTS has been the No. 1 rated tire in their customer survey results for light truck / SUV all season tires, and do not cost as much as Michelins because you are not paying for the name. The No. 2 rated tire in their customer survey results for light truck / SUV all season tires is the Michelin Latitude Tour. I personally would pick the top rated tire on the Tirerack.com in their customer survey, results for light truck / SUV all season tires, again as I have not been disappointed in the least.

Click on the link and see for yourself.

Thanks Rodger- Need to do my homework. TireRack is probably as reliable a source as any. As long as the research and testing is NOT Consumer Reports. For as long as I can remember they have "tested" discontinued or obsolete product(s), particularly electronics.

BTW, cost of shipping four tires to Hawaii is almost $200 from ANY TireRack location.

PLUS mounting, balancing, and alignment from a dealer I DIDN'T buy tires from. OUCH! :eek:

I have the Micheline LTX M/S tires on my Trac, and had them on my '01 Trac. They are excellent tires, well worth the price. Most importantly, they wear very evenly and resist cupping. Good grip in the snow, rain, and on gravel. I don't offroad, but do drive forest service type roads, and they work well.

Thanks Rodger! :)

If tread life is your main concern, in my experience Michelins are hands down the best truck and SUV tire for you.

I have the Michelin LTX on my 2004 ST. But I only have have them for about 5 months, so I can't tell you much. Better grip in the rain than the Goodyears I got when I purchased the truck.

JohnnyO,

Michelins are hands down the best truck and SUV tire for you.

I feel that depends on the type of vehicle and your personal driving style. I am by no means putting Michelins down, and have had them in the past on passenger cars; and I have also had Pirelli P7's on a Olds Cutless that were an outstanding road tire.

Update for anyone that might ever come back to this thread

Scored two used toyos, put them up front, huge alignment fix and suddenly my truck stops like the brakes actually work and it handles A LOT better. I like Toyos.