Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor Calibration...??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
EDIT: Found out some answers so modifying question a bit....

Does anyone know how to calibrate new Ford (OEM) tire pressure sensors when installing them on new wheels? I understadn its done with a magnet and with the system in training mode. Can this be done at home, or does this have to be done by Ford using special tools and codes?

I am looking to purchase a set of wheels that do not have the sensors and will be installing new OEM sensors from Ford. I also don't want to have to go to Ford everytime I rotate my tires...

Cheers;

Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
No you do not need to calibrate them if they were all working correctly beforehand.

If one of them needs to be replaced then you do need to recalibrate.

FOMOCO tool (probably something is avail aftermarket, but I'm not aware of it).

You asked about training the sensors yourself.

The type that can be trained with a magnet are the valve stem style sensors.

You probably have the band mounted sensors. Those sensors are trained by a frequency generator that you probably won't have easy access to.

If you have had a sensor replaced then it needs to be registered with the module with either the Ford IDS or OTC makes a tool just for this. If you just put the sensors on different wheels then you shouldn't have to do anything.

What Eric is trying to do is put a brand new set of sensors on a second set of wheels for winter use, etc. Will he need to have them reprogrammed everytime he swaps the wheels on the truck, and can it be done after the tires are mounted?

Every time he swaps wheels the module will have to be relearned to the new sensors, and yes it can be done after the tires have already been mounted, as long as the sensors are inside obviously. Another option is to take the oem sensors off of the wheels put them in a sealed pvc tube that has a valve stem installed and inflate it to the correct pressure and stick it somewhere inside the truck, naturally it won't tell you if there is a low tire but it will keep the tpms light off and you won't have to buy a new set of sensors or have them reprogramed with the change of the seasons.

I really like the tube idea, the only question I have is this: Do the sensors turn on and off to conserve battery life? It seems like I remember an aftermarket kit saying it sensed when the wheel stopped spinning and turned off the sensor. Would that cause a problem, or does it not apply to the OEM sensors?

I don't know if the gem module pings the sensors and wakes them up or if they have a motion sensor within them, I can't find any info either way on Fords website

Steeda just came out with a new device to program 07 and up tire pressure systems.

P/N 375-8c2z-1a203-a, 26 bux.

Might give them a call

Somebody give Bill a cookie!! :lol: That looks to be perfect, I can't believe its so cheap. Thanks!

Thanks for the info guys! The Steeda tool is exactly what I wanted to know about!!!

As an update: This tool is also available through any Ford dealer and is a bit cheaper.

Cheers;

Eric

P.S. Don't want to preach, but for those of you defeating the TPMS system, please consider the legal implications before making your choices. Deafeating a mandatory safety system may cause your insurance company to try to avoid payment and claim negligence...

Latest posts