tire recommendation

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James B 3

Reaction score
Ok guys, Time to replace the tires on my 01 sporttrac 4x4. I currently have Goodyear 255/70/16. Would like recommendations on tires from you guys.

I normally purchase michelin. I do very little off road driving. Would like a little bit bigger tire w/o putting spacers on it.

Thanks for your input.

james

I have 98,000 miles on a set of Michelin LTX M/S. Great tire, although they will need replacing this summer. Can't help on the upsizing though...

Bridgestone Dueler w/ Revo. are the best tire i have ever owned. I switched to the GY Wrangler W/ Silent Armor and was/am severly disappointed. The bridgestone's are a little more money but well worth it. I have an 01 ST and found the larger tires definately compromise the overall ride quality origianlly had a 265/75/16 when i bought the vehicle. When i went back to the OEM size it was much better all around. Unless you need the extra size for off roading then i do not think upsizing is beneficial to most drivers.

as far as the ride difference terry is talking about, with my tires you definitely can notice a ride difference. but the the stock shocks are crap and its not bad enough to bother me. but it isnt as smooth as with 255's on it. the larger size was worth it to me for the mobility and the appearance

Terry, Going to a bigger tire, in some cases, can be beneficial. Example: Another site member & I were going back and forth on the TOYO Open Country A/T's; and I was running 235/70/16's & he was running 255/70/16's: He like them and I did not. What we discovered after quite a long time of going back & forth on this is that the 235's have a max psi of 35 lbs & the 255's have a max psi of 44 lbs. So, yes a bigger tire can make a difference.

James, What do you define as off roading? I feel that you will find what you want at TireRack.com; link below.

Fair Enough. but my comment was more orientated to going to a non OEM size. the 235's are the 4X2 oem size correct? I guess ultimately after everything you hear JamesB the descision is up to you. ;)

the 235's are the 4X2 oem size correct?

Nope. I got a 4x2 that has 255 stocks and there are many members here that have 4x4's with 235's.

The difference is the differential gearing. 4.10 gets the 255's. 3.73 gets the 235's.

Tom

I just replaced my Bridgestone Dueler Revos (got 40K miles out of them) with Goodyear Fortera TripleTreds. The Revos were a huge improvement over the stock Wranglers, but I gotta say that the TripleTreds are flat out the best tire I've ever owned - hands down. Stayed with 255/70/16 on my 2001 4 x 2 for both tires and that size looks great. Goodyear currently has rebates and, in Atlanta at least, Kaufmann Tire has $100 off on top of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry, Going to a bigger tire, in some cases, can be beneficial. Example: Another site member & I were going back and forth on the TOYO Open Country A/T's; and I was running 235/70/16's & he was running 255/70/16's: He like them and I did not. What we discovered after quite a long time of going back & forth on this is that the 235's have a max psi of 35 lbs & the 255's have a max psi of 44 lbs. So, yes a bigger tire can make a difference.

Ha, I wonder who the one arguing with you was? lol :p It did take a while to figure out the difference, I couldn't figure out for the life of me why you hated those tires so much when I just loved them.

JamesB, sorry, can't help you with non off-roading tires as I don't have experiance with them, for a good A/T tire I would recommend the Toyo Open Country A/T, but I don't think that an A/T tire is what you are looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yokohama geolander ht-s or BFG longtrail TA. They are both a very good tire on road. With very good pricing.