Tire rubbing update

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua Mercer

Reaction score
Ok Carmax states that the stock tire for a 04' Sport trac LXT is 235/70R16. Even with the placard on the door stating clearly 255/70R16 they persist that ford made an error when the card was stamped! i Retract my previous opinion about Carmax that i made on the other post.. thier morons. However Firestone placed 255/70R16 Bridgestone Revo's on my truck at no cost. They still are scrubbing but not as bad as they where. I asked them if it was caused by bushings, sway bar, bad alignment, or shocks and they said that all checked out ok. They suggested a suspension upgrade with a better sway bar and while im at it to add 1/8-1/4 spacers. If the tires are now "stock" size why are they still scrubbing? However CARMAx did fix my tranny and installed back up sensors for my $50 deductable... :D

i guess i need spacers. Carmax is saying that the upper ball joint is scrubbing the inside of the tire, as well as the sway bar and control arm?... tires are right size, but are "over molded".

'01 to '05 Sport Tracs came from the factory with either 235-70R16s or 255-70R16s. The 235-70R16 came with a 3.73 rear gear, and the 255-70R16 came with a 4.11 rear gear, so switching tire sizes could make your speedometer read a little off of your true speed.

Even so, either size should fit without rubbing. Are you sure they have the factory wheels on that truck?

I never had a problem with the goodyears rubbing, but ever since I got my michelin Cross Terrains, I've noticed some rubbing on turns. Perhaps some tires bulge out a little further than others or have thicker hydes. There's also manufacturing differences between makers for a given tire size, if you go to the manufacturers websites they should have a chart given the exact dimensions for their given size tire. Width of rim it's mounted on can also make a difference.

Dewd,

What Rims do you have on that st ???

Todd Z

Sounds like to me you have another issue going on there.....

Every ST with 16 inch rims came with 255/70/16's...... They should not rub any thing at all..

My 04 adren has 275/70/16 on stock rims and stock suspension and i have no issues...

Todd Z

I have 285/75/R16's on stock 16x7 wheels on my truck and have no issues with "scrubbing" on and suspension components under normal driving conditions. That said they do rub on the sway bar at full lock and on the plastic fender liners during hard compression of the suspension.

Post some pics of what you are talking about. That will help us determine what your problem is.

Dreman is correct. Possibly the book at Carmax only lists the base size and lot of people only know what "the book" tells them.

I'd say just have an alignment shop turn the torsion bars up a smidge and re-align it. There is some variance in how they are set at the factory. My '99 Ranger sat level, my '02 Ranger had a rake to it and the stock tires rubbed at full lock turning into my parking space at work (so we're not talking flexing the suspension any).

PICs are in My library. if you look at the ball joint it has been polished from front to rear on the outside. I checked and it touches when tires are at any direction including straight.

The 16" aluminum wheel shown in the second image isn't an ST rim. Those rims were standard equipment on the '02-'03 MY Explorer 4-dr with independent rear suspension. Spacers will be needed if you're going to keep those rims.

Yep, not a stock ST wheel; different offset. That's why it is rubbing.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
i cant believe all the people you had look at it and none of them could say of the offset of your wheels is wrong because they arent stock. one reason why im always nervous taking my car to the shop. but yes, spacers should fix your problem

Latest posts