Tire Size Torsion Twist

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew Lonker

Reaction score
Im doing a torsion twist on my 01 4x4 ST. Will 265/75/16 tires fit without any rubbing after the torsion twist or should i go smaller? I am only going to raise the front end up 1.5" and probably wont do shackles or anything to the rear as it is already a good 1.5" higher than the front end.

Should be fine. I have 265/65-17 (30.56 v. 31.65") with no change in ride height. I should add that these are on 17x8" rims with 3.5" backspace (they are outboard 1/2").

The most likely time for rubbing is during a hard turn when the wheels travel up.

There is an area on the rear portion of the wheel well, about six inches from the bottom, that protrudes about 3/4" - it's kind of rectangular. I heated a block of wood and flattened it maybe 1/4". Might look in to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently installed Cooper ATP 265/75R16 on my ST 4X4 and didn't do the TT... I had to trim the rear right fender a bit cause it rubbed on right turns. The front do rub on really sharp turns though, not a big deal... I'll probably do TT later.

I've heard others describe the ride as "not that bad." I don't want to go over 1.5" because of the suspension wear it can cause.

Just remember that after your done cranking on the torsion bars that you need to get the front end aligned as it throws everything out of whack.

Another concern is traction. With limited down-travel, the front wheels will be off the ground more, particularly over dips and especially going up hill.

The best traction is when the tires are on the ground.

Not trying to dissuade you; just make you aware of potential side affects, so you'll know the cause if they occur. Certainly easy to lower if desired.

Here is my old '05 with a TT/shackle lift and 265/75's.

[Broken External Image]:

They rubbed a little on the rear inner fenders but not enough that you'd notice.

JohnnyO, how was the ride after the TT and shackle lift compared to before?

Actually I liked it better. Firm but not objectionable. Still much better than the Ranger Off-Road I had before. Keep the torsion lift to 1.5" or less and it will be fine. Warrior shackles are 1.25" lift. Also I replaced the shocks with Sensa Tracs at 12,000 miles. The OE shocks on a Gen 1 are crap and much too soft even when they were new.

I run 265/75R16 General Grabber AT2 with a TT and stock out back. Only slight rubbing on uphill slow hard turns like pulling up into a driveway. The tire rubs on the plastic shield. Very minor. It's a good look with 32" tires!