Tire size

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eldon Webb

Reaction score
I am going to have to get new tires soon. I am running the stock 255/70R 16. I have done the shackle/TT lift and installed 4-1 1/4" wheel spacers. I would like to go with a taller but not too much wider tire to help in the MPG area. Any ideas? :unsure:

I would not keep the 255 and go up to an 80 series, I would go 285/75/16 or something like that, that will give you safest height change, plus some more width...

Todd Z

You could try stepping up to 265/75R16 like i did, but what's your axle to gear ratio right now? 3.73 or 4.10? If you have 4.10 you should be good to step up, but if you have 3.73 like I do, you may want to think about changing your gear ratios first before you step up becasue the ST really has to work to get larger tires moving..

The 265/75R16 is about 1 1/2 inches taller than the stock tire your running right now, and about 3/4 inch wider.

You can also check tire size changes on this site..

Last edited by a moderator:
255/70R16. Anything larger and you'll rub on turns unless you do a lift. I found that out when i had mine installed.

Warrior Shackles are the best to use, or so I've heard, I haven't used or needed a shackle lift, just a TT... I had the dealership do it because I'd screw it up.. :lol:

You could fit a 265/75-16 (32") or 285/75-16 (33") although the 285 should really be on a wider rim. I stuck to a 265 because I have 3.73 gears. It turns about 2200 rpm @ 75 mph. I get about 19 mpg on the highway if I keep it to 70 mph.

Sounds like you have the same setup as I do Johnny.

Andrew, I don't have any lift in the back, and only a 1 inch lift in the front, the reason I had rubbing I'm thinking from the 265/75R16 tires is becasue I had rims that have a +12mm offset. Factory rims have no offset.

265 75 16 TT/SL no rubbing 4:10's and a sct tunner from Wfoy avg. 20 mpg

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

How'syour acceleration and drivetrain with the tires and a 4.10 ratio? I'm looking to move up in gear ratios and can't decide to do 4.10 or 4.56.