Tires,Shocks, and Drivetrain " Oh My"

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul P 5

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Asked a similar question earlier need a little more help. I have a 2003 XLT Prem. I of course like other people here have a cupping problem with my tires. Past advice on here says to change out shocks and tires. Probably go with Monroe Reflex and tires have no clue.I have had good luck with BF Goodrich in the past.Like everyone else in the US need more bang for the buck. Hence Walmart/Sam's club. Any help on there tires. The Uniroyal Liberator any good? Was also thinking of moving up a size.Like a 265-75/16(stock rims) .Those value stores won't warrenty a bigger size tire.

Next question How would the bigger tires affect drivetrain. Have a 410 limited slip rear.Rear end howls like -----anyway. Would it be louder and less gas mileage.

Thanx again for your help sorry for the long question.

Paul P

I actualy just ordered the BF Goodrich AT Revo tires 265/75R16 for my 2005 4x4 ST a few days ago.. Waiting on them to arrive now, but from the research I've done.. Putting a larger tire on the ST will decrease pull power, but increase gasmilage.. The reason for that is it will change the gear to ratio on the truck... Here's the link for the gear ratio chart that I have found... If you need any other help, let me know, I've done ALOT of research on this ONE subject because I've not liked the stock tires and rims on my ST since I bought it...

Hope that helps you out..

~Josh

Oh.. And the stock tires are about a 30" diameter... The 265/75R16 is about a 31.5"

Can I go any bigger in height or even width with no modifactions to truck. Gear ratio seems to ok...Thanx for link Paul

Yea.. 265/75R16 is as safe as you can go as I understand it.. But also remember that when you change the tire size like what I am doing.. Your speedometer is going to be off.. You CAN get it re-calibrated at a ford dealership, but it will run you about 50 bucks.. (I am having mine done next weekend.)

~Josh