To the audio people...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelby Crane

Reaction score

I have the 12" shallow pioneer and a jdbox.

The deep bass sounds REALLY good. But, the mid bass can be heard but not felt. Sounds terrible. You can hear the mid-bass but there is no punch. Hard to describe but the mid-bass sounds out of tune.

I have had many audio setups but I have never had this problem.

I set all eq to flat and put the LP crossovers to 125 hz.

Stereo shop says that the box may be to large or small.

Any ideas?

Midbass comes from good door speakers not from subwoofers.

What speakers do you have in the doors and are they amped?

If the box were too small you would have louder high freq response. A sealed box that is larger than recommended would produce a flat freq response across the spectrum the sub can produce.

well, what i am calling mid-bass is more like the high end (50-100 hz) of what the sub should produce.

it is so hard to describe what i am hearing. it is like the sound above 40 hz is just dead. rock music has no punch and is actually annoying to listen too because it *almost* sounds like the sub is blown.

i wonder if my sub is not defective.

Link below (at the bottom of the article) basicly states everything you just said. I think it is just a fault in the woofer. They are made for ground shaking lows, not to blend well with others. You might be able to compensate with some nice door speakers amped properly.

thanks for the article.

if this subwoofer is made this way then pioneer has a real problem. i would love for a pioneer rep to listen to this sub and tell me they designed it that way.

there HAS to be something wrong. no way people would want this sub.

the article says the sub is not responsive and some notes are louder then others. mine simply does not sound right at all w/ the higher notes.

i know that if i can't correct this problem, i would rather not have any sub in my car.

i know jl is coming out with a sub that is 13.5 x 2" deep. guess i will have to wait a year for it to come out

i wonder if the 10" pioneers sound better - interested in building another box? LOL

I wish I could hear it, I know that A1's sounds good and he is very happy with it.

I am always ready to build boxes, but I hope that isn't required, as I always want people to be happy with what they already purchased.

I am very happy with your product. I got exactly what I wanted.

I am not happy with the over-all results but that is far from your fault.

I guess I need to send A1 a msg....I wonder where he is located. I would love to hear his.

if the box is too large or small for the sub, the woofer cant be completely closed to the box..so different ranges of bass sound off because ait escapes out of the box when its not supposed to...

I have this problem occasionally, not to an extant where its really an issue.

Latest posts