Todd Z

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyler wright

Reaction score
Todd, how did you paint your cladding? I know you used body shop equipment but what hinda primer and paint and coats and all the steps you took. THANKS!

4" brush and Olympic exterior house paint. Make sure you buy the exterior and not interior. :rolleyes:

tyler,

Basically

1) Wash cladding with soap and water

2) Dry

3) clean cladding with 3M plastic parts cleaner

4) Spray cladding with 3M adhesion promoter following directions

5) Spray cladding with PPG single stage Gloss black.

a) Repeat color

a) Repeat color let dry (wet sand) It took 3 coats to get rid of the texture

a) Repeat color

a) Repeat color (wet sand and lightly polish)

Once the paint cured for 3 days I re hand sanded with 1600 wet paper and then polished with a polisher using 3M polishing compaund...

waited 3 months, and washed and waxed...

Thats the basic low down...

It took me a lot of time to get it the way i wanted....

The project Nelson linked is a nice easy way to do it..

Todd Z

PPG has a glass plant in Meadville, PA

They were recently up for sale to a CA Business Corp, but Corp pulled out for some reason.

So many jobs were saved!

The manufacture the glass to make our windshields...well windshields everywhere.

and glass for many things actually.

here is their website.

Thanks alot guys! The reason i wanted to know is because i'm repainting my center console and i wanted to put real car paint on it because i wanted something very durable.

May want to add flex additive ....

Todd Z

Tyler, it keeps the paint from flaking off of plastic parts, and should be added to the primer as well before you actually paint the part. You can get it from any store that sells auto paint.

Some paint and clearcoats has it already in it and some paint shops will recommend adding a little more to the paint.

Just go to a auto paint store or any store that sales auto paint and tell them what you are wanting to do, and ask about the flex additive.

Most part stores carry interior paint kits that work really well, IF you follow the instructions to the letter. hope that helps you out.

Last edited by a moderator: