Tonneau Cover Locks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zudnick

Reaction score
Hello,

How hard do you have to turn your key to unlock the tonneau cover?

I have noticed over the last while that the locks on my tonneau cover have become very stiff. It takes quite a bit of force on the key to get it to turn far enough to get the cover to unlock.

Is there anything I can do to make this work more smoothly? Are there parts that I should be lubricating? If so, with what, where are they and how do I go about doing it? Is there an adjustment that needs to be made? Have the cables stretched and become slack? Or is it something else all together?

Thanks for the help.

Z

Lube the mechanism on either side of the cover, Lube the key hole and lube the cables by spraying a can of lube with a straw on it....

White Lithium works best..

Todd Z

I agree with what Todd said. Also you should lube the latches to be sure they are not minding.

If that fails, the tips of the cable hook/s are probably chipped and causing the binding. The cable hooks are located inside the the plastic case that is connected to the bottom end of the lock cylinder. That will require replacing the whole cable assembly.

...Rich

You guys just helped my Tonneau Cover also. The only way I was able to open the front of the cover was with the emergency release from inside. Not the most convenient way to open the cover!!!!!

I lubed the keyhole and cables with white lithium. This didn't answer the problem however. There were no chips on the hooks either. What I did find was that the driverside latchpin attached to the bed was not smooth at the point where the hooks to the cover attached. A couple of passes to the pin with sandpaper smoothed this out and now allows the cover to open easily from both sides now.

I the above doesn't help I hope that this might.

Caleb

Caleb,

You can't tell if the cable hook is chiped since it is inside the riveted plastic case that attaches the cables to the bottom of the lock cylinder. If you attempt to disasseble the case you are in for a big surprize. :wacko:

...Rich