Tonneau Cover Problem.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason R

Reaction score
Today i turned the key to open the hard cover and I heard a snap.... And I could not open the cover. The lock mechanism on the bottom of the cover is a little lose. Any ideas on how to fix this? And how can I get it off the trac?

To remove the cover.

You can use a hook or needle nose pliers to pull on the cable inside the latch housings on each side of the cover. Avoid damaging the cable.

The cable pull assembly that is attached to the bottom of the lock cylinder is made of plastic and the internal parts like the cable pull hook is thinner than most people's fingernails. Usually the very tip or the hook will break off with a slight snap or pop. if this has occurred, you must replace the whole cable assembly which includes both cables and the cable pull housing. The cables are stainless steel and it's not likely they they have broken. They will probably outlive the truck, but the plastic parts that the key lock turns to pull the cables is the real culprit.

....Rich