Tonneau Project

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana OBrien

Reaction score
So I am putting together my tonneau light project and wondered if anyone knew what is inside of the OEM cover.

I am thinking of running my wires inside the cover using the raised portions of the underside of the cover ( does that make sense?)

is there any sort of aluminum or metal cross members to consider when drilling in to the cover?

If I remember your diagram, aren't you running the power from the acc 12-volt outlet in the bed, and mounting the light on the front bed wall (behind the cab)?

If so, running wires through the Tonneau, in my mind, is not a great idea, as it makes the cover that much harder to remove, even if your wiring had quick connnects of some kind.

Also are you still set on powering the light from the acc outlet? Why not wire into the regular light circuit, go down through the cab, back up into the bed, then you are all hooked into the same circuit and the benefits it provides...assuming you aren't adding a significant load? I suspect you could still have a pin switch that is activated by the t-cover, and that would be just a more complicated circuit. There must be one main circuit wire that powers all the interior lights, hooked to the dash light switch that allows you to turn off all the cabin lights. I would rather have my bed light hooked to that circuit.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I am running the wires like this:

Plug in the 12v outlet, wires will go into the cover just behind the hinge on the back half, then they will run to the back of the cover ( by the tail gate), I will wire the switch in at that point.

then I will run the wire about a foot or two away and mount the light just on the other side (front side) of the rear lock.

the light is going to be about in the middle of the rear half of the cover.

I am running the wires where I am doing it so the back half can open without pulling on the wires.

I really need to know what to expect when I try to fish the wires through the cover, cause if it is fillled with foam or some crap, I will have to wire it differently.

where can I find the adaptor for the 12v plug in the back? I have looked everywhere for something that will plug into it to no avail. thanks

ok, just went and looked closer and plugged an inverter in it. I thought it required more than just a regular 12v plug. man do I feel stupid today

I permanently wired in a square cargo light -in- the bed on the forward wall.

It comes on anytime the doors are unlocked, timed with the overhead OEM cab light.

Chops said:
I permanently wired in a square cargo light -in- the bed on the forward wall. It comes on anytime the doors are unlocked, timed with the overhead OEM cab light.

Boy that seems like the way to do it. Chops, did you write up a project? I just can't see dedicating the acc output in the bed and running the wires through the t-cover for that feature (no offense, Dana).

Dana, do you take your t-cover off, ever?

TJR

Since it was so nice out today, I went out and took these. I used a stick on wire holder but running inside the back half of the cover should be no problem.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Phil, that is almost exaclty what I am going to do, except the wires will be internal.

I would but it on the back wall of the bed - that is the easiest way to do it - but I really only use the back half at night and I have a shelf that I built in that goes over the wheel wells, so the light could/would get blocked by the shelf.

I can usually operate with the cargo/brake light if I am in the front half of the bed.

this should work super slick, all I will have to do is unplug it and remove the top if I need to .

Ill get some pics soon, we just got a foot of snow last night so the project is on hold for a week or so.

Phil, where did you get those gas arms?

I tried double stick tape in a few locations and found this spot on the back cover best.

The gas springs are a LeverLift kit available on this site from Rich Lunder

Phil, that appliance cord laying against that bracket looks like a potential issue to me...could wear the insulation and then cause a short.

That, and the fact that I frequently hose down my bed, wouldn't make for a great combo for me.

I'm anal about those kinds of things.

Oh, and Dana, I thought you were mounting the light on the bed wall...if on the underside of the Tonneau then "never mind" as that makes only the cig-plug adapter your single connection.

Go for it Dana, just want out for where water might get in, and any wires that might rub or flex.

TJR

Phil says:
5 years and no problem. If it was, I wouldn't have put it there

I was just saying Phil, appliance cord is not a good application for that, and assuming there is a little dangle and bounce there, expect a rub. Sure, after 5 years, and maybe even another 10 maybe no problem...still not a GREAT application of appliance cord, IMHO.

Same thing with the choice of switch. I often hose out my bed with the t-cover on. I doubt that switch is rated for outdoor use or rated as waterproof. That's all. It doesn't mean you can't use them, and that if you do you won't have years of good use.

And since we are trying to share ideas and experience here, I thought I would point that out.

Sorry if I ticked you off.

TJR

This is what I did for lighting on my factory cover. The illuminated switch is tapped into the bed outlet wiring. I used license plate lights from Autozone. The switch, 5mm jack, plug and nylon sleeving are from Radioshack.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

that is a good setup, I may have to try to hard wire it. I have beed thinking about using a door pin switch to turn the light on, but those OEM covers are leakers (water) and the switch in the outlet area is pretty convenient.

Once the fresh foot of snow melts around these parts, I will start my project.

thanks for all the great input guys!!

Latest posts