tool box

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Simank

Reaction score
Looking to add a tool box. One company said they would not install an inbed box because of (plastic Bed). Another company said they would not install one on the side walls because (fiberglass) sides. Any success stories with either?

Maybe not what you're looking for, but I use a lockable large plastic storage box and screwed together some 2x4's to make a frame to hold it in place.

I would shop around for one of the locking, plastic ones. They are light weight, and durable. I dont think they would harm the trac bed rails..:)

I had one that I kept from my '97 ranger. It fit and the bed extender kept it from sliding. It was heavy enough to stay put, but I took it out and mounted it on my utility trailer...doug

I use a large contractors plastic one that came from Home Depot. It sits at the tail gate with a short bungee on either side from the rear interior tie down to the tub. It never moves and I lock it when I need to.

Works great when going on trips (fishing, camping, hiking, etc.) Holds my middle sized cooler, luggage, picnic items and at all other times my tonneau cover, tie downs, straps, etc.

I've also found that the hieght is perfect for running 2x4's through the back window and sitting them on the tail gate and tub, then tieing down the 2x4's between the tub and the tail gate. This keeps the 2x4's off the rear seats.

If you are looking for one to put over the bedrails, just buy one and install it yourself. I installed the one on my Ranger myself, piece of cake.

Here's my pics. Sorry for the delay but it was raining yesterday. The boards fit tight enough that it doesn't move around. I like it because it fits under the bedcover.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts