Torsion Twist Height (TT)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devin Underberg

Reaction score
I know people say not to go over the an inch and a half doing the torsion twist on a 4wd. But what height is that. My trac originally sagged on the right side so would I go 1.5 over that or 1.5 over the left side?

I am hoping for some measurements on the chassis itself. Say the lower A-arm to something. Can those of you with this done get some measurements for me?

Thanks

Devin

Hey Devin,

I recently did a TT/Shackle lift on my 01 4wd. I rode at exactly a 2" lift on the front for a week and decided to take it down to 1 3/4".

My driver side sagged a half inch more than the passenger side originally. With 31x10.5R15's on the truck I measured from the top of the tire to the lip of the wheel well.

I measured 4 3/4" on the driver side and 5 1/4" on the passenger side. After lifting it and adjusting it I am at 6 1/2" on the driver side and 7" on the passenger side.

I have heard of ppl going the full 2 inches.. i did. I had to pull back 5 full rotations on the torsion bars to bring it down to that height. Some ppl have said they can't even reach 2 inches.. I got to 2 3/4 inches with the torsion bolts all the way in.

I'm replacing my shocks next week and I am going to try to go back up to exactly 2 inches and see if the ride is ok.

Hey Larry, how much did you lower your ST? What kit did you use? I have a 2004 2WD and have thought how good it would look lowered. Thanks - Art

Lowering is easy just crank the TT bolts out and get some lowering blocks from summit or whatever auto store is near you they should have some. Some have been able to get 2" or more out of lowering it some less each truck is different.

Art, I used the Explorer Express X-Spec kit with a custom twist. I substituted the 2 inch blocks for 3 inch ones. My ST is lowered 2 inches in the front, and 3 inches out back. The only problem I see with yours is the suspension travel changed on the 2003 (I believe) so the EE kit for the 2004 comes with 3 inch blocks and new torsion bolts anyway, so I don't know how low to the ground it would sit compared to an 01, or 02 set up the same way. It comes with everything you need to drop the ST. It has the blocks, U-bolts, nuts and loctite for the rear, and the camber adjusters for the front. BTW, I'm really happy with it lowered!!

--Edit-- Here's my most recent picture (from the Hypnotic Illusions Automotive Readerz Ridez page)

[Broken External Image]:

Here's what she looked like before.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator: