Touching battery cables together

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denise Hayes 2

Reaction score
I tried this new remedy, by touching battery cables together for the transmission problem. It did shift better for 4 or 5 days, then back to the sluggish, and hard down shifting. Now I have noticed a new problem after I did this. Anyone else have this to happen? The digital miles per gallon calculator that reads out the fuel mileage is constantly changing numbers, It's kinda acting like an odometer, the readings have gotten alot higher than normal. Could this have happened by touching the cables together?

Yes, I had that too. It resolves in a few miles. All it's done is reset everything and it's having to recalculate the mileage. It'll settle down soon.

BTW - My tranny did the same thing - a few days were better but it went back to it's old bad ways. I'm so frustrated.

Did you drive it like you stole it for a tank full of gas? After you reset by touching the terminals together disconnected from the battery and then hook it back up, the computer will then be relearning as you drive. If you drive it like you stole it then it can learn the better shifting.

This is just a load of crap. Everyone seems to be trying to learn how to fix the transmission problem, EXCEPT Ford. Time for the manufacturer to step-up and do their job. This is EXACTLY why people are buying more and more foreign produced vehicles...:angry:

ditto that les and scott.

why do we have to do a self fix that i tried and didn't work.

it is SO FRUSTRATING to the point that my trac is going bye-bye !!!

I can't help but think if the 07/08 ST Transmission problem were happening in a foreign-made vehicle that there would be a bunch of Japanese engineers working around the clock until they figured out what was wrong and had a REAL fix to the problem.

But then again, this is Ford's second strike on Explorer trannys. Clearly they simply just don't care.

TJR

Check out all the problems with the Lexus ES 300 transmission. Even luxury foreign automakers have problems (probably when they started building their cars here...).

The miles per gallon calculator averages your fuel consumption as you drive. The longer you go without resetting it, the more accurate average you have. When you reset by removing the battery (or use the dash reset button ), the only data you have is instantaneous readout (why it changes quickly) and it gradually settles down as you drive it longer and longer (it then averages again over a longer period of time).

I posted my experience with this problem under the post: "Follow-up on. . . re: NEW MEMBER WITH A BIG PROBLEM" Ford did recognize the problem and has a recall to reprogram the Power Control Module. Here is the write up from my service (see the bottom half). I'd recommend you take your truck in. I haven't had a problem since.

Last edited by a moderator:
KPC -- do you have the ticking issue? Curious . . .

Becuase I had a similiar problem, but I heard it at around 30-35mph. After the dealer having my Trac for around 2 months and over $10K worth of parts & labor (Ford paid, even my rental was free), it wound up being a rubber grommet coming off from the bottom of the gear shift area. The rubber grommet was letting the ticking noise in from the outside. They never found out what the ticking officially was -- maybe it was what you were told (injectors).

By ticking, do you mean, while in park, under the hood, engine running, a subtile ticking noise? If so, yep, the ticking issue is unanimously identified at the injectors. It has been explained to me that the injectors are in a more accessible location, therefore they are more audible than other vehicles. Or do you mean ticking with the tranny bump issue?

As for now, the only issue I am still having is the fan "roaring" supposedly because of the fan clutch locking up. . . I hope to have the issue readdressed very soon.

As for the ticking, I'll mention the grommet . . . thanks for the info

My experience happened when I'm driving, and going 30-35pmh+, you start hearing the ticking (not bump-related). Sounded like it was coming from the middle vents, like something stuck in there. I had a tech drive it, and came back in 3 minutes later saying he heard it, too.

I have this documented on this site but Readers Digest version - they replaced the transmission once, transfer case 2X, had several regional / national engineers inspecting my Trac with no resolution. It took a lower-level engineer saying "the customer is hearing it from inside the Trac, let's look there'. After about 20 minutes, they figured the noise was coming from under the gear shift. They disassembled it, and found the grommet just laying loose. Took about 20 minutes to take gear shift off, replace grommet, and put gear shift back on. Go figure . . .

No problems like that as of yet. Good to know incase it does occur. Just curious, about how many miles before your ticking problem? I've got about 5k

Latest posts