Towing at/over Capacity - Pic

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Returning from Road Atlanta this weekend. Wet and heavy. Car is loaded up inside with equip, and including trailer and tires on rack we're over 5000 for sure. Bed of truck is full of more crap, and the back seats are filled with luggage.

Ran 38 lbs rear tires. Have RoadMaster spring helpers installed.

Truck ran fine and cool. Can hit over 80mph (downhill) but I don't push it, since the gas mileage dips down to 12.

Asides from exceptionally poor stopping in the rain with the stock tires, it tows easy.[Broken External Image]:

Dr. Jeff, nice set up. Wife and I have been tracking our cars lately.

2004 M3 with SSR wheels 265/40/18 Pilot Sport Cups. Shroth harness system. 10 days at the track and it's our daily driver.

I have a 2004 SVT Focus, complete suspension done, brakes upgraded, Sparco racing seats, 5pt harness system 10 days at the track as well. also has a lot of performance tune mods. Konig wheels with Falken 615 track tires. These tires are great and not too expensive.

We are looking at a 1995 M3 that is a turn key race car for SCCA and Conference racing. The ST will be towing it from LA where it's current at and to the races.

Thanks,

SST

Let me know if you are interested in semi-used race tires. I have a guy I get my Hoosiers from - they use them for some test and tune sessions, and are essentially new with very little wear, for only $75 per.

Do you have SMG on your M3? I'm on a new engine; they replaced it at 43,000ish for some noise that was a worn but not spent #4 crank rod bearing. All new 100,000k warranty on it too! (Broke it in at VIR, but heck it was already a rebuilt)

Jeff - yes SMG but the 95 is Manual. We have the 100K warranty as well. Expensive but they will have to replace the pads front and rear here shortly and I know they are not cheap...LOL. What size are the Hoosiers?

My SSR's are the older Integrals I bought used. Staggered 8.5 and 9", but I upsize the tires to 245/40/18 front and 275/35 rears. Run GC camber plates, -3.5 left and -2.75 right, at RA. Get great wear, and the nice thing about the Hoosiers is that they are not directional, so you can reverse mount them (left side to right side), then inside/outside swap mount them to maximize longevity.

I hope that a business deal I am entering will pay off well, and in the spring I want to get major suspension work done - possibly TC Kline's dual adjustable coil-overs. I just can't keep up with others in my run group who have those mods, with just my camber plates anymore.

Your trailer looks like mines does. The fenders are a litle different, but it looks like it is from the same manufacturer.

Here is a picture of mine. Odds are there is a little more weight then what you have on yours. IIRC, the load itself was around 4500 LBS plus the trailer weighs 1400 LBS for a total of about 5,900 LBS.

[Broken External Image]:

I have airbags on the rear axle to compensate with a loaded trailer or a heavy load in the bed. When I am not hauling anything, I let the air out of the airbags and it goes right back to stock suspension.

If you don't have trailer brakes, get them. Trust me. I put them on both axles and they stop awesome. Stops better with a loaded trailer then the Trac going solo.

Tom

Latest posts