Towing package?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon P

Reaction score
Hello,

I just purchased a 2001 Sport Trac from a person who felt it needed garaged rather than driven. It has less than 40,000 miles and I'm looking at putting a towing package on it for pulling a Jet Ski or a 20 ft boat. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with pulling anything behind their Sport Trac. And if you think a 20 ft boat might be a bit to much for pulling up hilly and winding roads? Hence, should I stick to the Jet Ski or pull the boat?

Thanks a bunch!

IMHO it depends on weight. The ST's rear bumper can tow up tp 3000 lbs with a 3/4 shank 2" ball. If memory serves me correctly it's a class 2.

I use mine to tow a '74 VW beetle w/o any problems, so a jet ski should be ok. As far as the 20' boat...again it depends on weight. If it weighs more than 3K a class 3 hidden hitch would definitely be needed. I had a V8 5.2 Magnum dakota before the ST and I was surprise at how nicely the ST tows considering it has a V6.

Andy

You can tow a 20' boat. I towed a 22' trailer for camping. Just make sure you ge the right package. And practice towing the boat in a parking lot, turning, backing up, stopping suddenly. All that good stuff.

The guy that sold us the trailer informed me that my trac cant tow it, its too big. Stick with the Explorer.

He was surprised to see how easy the trac towed it when I brought it in for winterizing.

The stock bumper hitch is a class 3 hitch.. you can tow it with that..

JUST re torque the bumper bolts ASAP before towing...

Or add a hitch and your good to go..

Todd Z

Thanks for all the great advice and fast replies!! I think I am going to get a hitch, then head off to the lake! Thanks again!

The stock bumper hitch is a class 3 hitch.. you can tow it with that..

REALLY? Todd that is EXCELLENT!

No wonder my bug doesn't bite back!

This little SUV keeps impressing me everyday I own it!

You know, my ST is the first Ford I have ever owned and I have to admit, Im pretty impressed with it. Of course Im went from an 85 Firebird to an 85 Camare to a 97 Camaro to a 98 Wrangler to my 04 ST. Although I was upset about trading in the Wrangler, its just not new baby friendly. Maybe when my son gets older I can get a replacement Wrangler or Camaro, but for now, the ST has done me good. I have taken it camping a couple times and plan on taking it on a long road trip up to Mass next month. I passed up buying an Avalanche, wifey said its "too long" and wouldnt drive it, well that and it was longer than my garage and wouldnt fit with the door closed! I am glad I bought the ST, its been a good truck and hopefully will last me years to come!! Props to Ford on this one!

Don't do like I did and look all over to buy a wiring harness for hooking up a towed vehicle. All I had to do was look under the driver side of the rear bumper and there is was already installed by FoMoCo! :banana:

Just to confirm what everyone has already stated, that towing is not an issue, check out the pic in my profile with my previous ST and camper. The camper weighs about 5000, and the ST towed it very confidently.

I'm even more impressed with the new ST with the V8 as far as towing. It goes like a bat out of hell!

Latest posts