Towing question once more...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon P

Reaction score
I know we have established in previous posts that the towing capability of the Sport Trac is definitely there. However, I can't find any posts that really talk about the stock towing option. So what do you guys think about this... I am unable to get my Towing package installed by this weekend and I would really like to goto the lake tom (with my boat) :D. I am considering just using the Sport Trac's stock bumper towing setup. Do you think it is capable of handling the setup below or should I hold out for my aftermarket towing package which won't get here until next Wednesday.

Bayliner inboard/outboard fiberglass hull, about 21 feet long and 90 inches wide at the widest point. The boat weighs approximately 2550 pounds with an empty fuel tank and without any gear or passengers. So around 2700 is my guess when loaded up. I do not know the tongue weight as I honestly can't find it anywhere.

Sorry for asking almost the same question again but I don't quite know the capability of these things yet and I'm still in the "baby her mode". :blink:

O and I have a 01' Sport Trac.

I appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

As far as weight goes, it will pull it. But I would be SUPER cautious on putting a ball on the bumper. When You back up and cut it hard the trailer will most likely hit the bumper. I ruined brand new chrome bumper that way.

I am almost positive you can tow 3,500 off the bumper. I would strongly recomend making sure the bumber bolts to the frame are tight and haven't wiggled loose over the last 9 years. How far is this ride and conditions. I've towed similar loads, haven't felt comfortable but did. I would strongly recomend the class III hitch that your getting. I would say do it and be cautious or find another tow worthy truck. Just my opinion.

CHRIS

The drive is about 45 miles. Out of those miles only 8 are slightly hilly or windy roads. The Truck is old but I just purchased it after it was garaged for a number of years by someone who never drove the thing.

It only has 40,000 Miles on it, no scratches and they claimed it has never pulled anything. The truck looks brand new; couldn't have passed her up as she has been the only vehicle I have wanted since my 18th birthday which was the day she came out. :D So, I don't really feel like hurting her to bad!

I have towed my Bayliner 1850 Capri about 200 miles non stop with my 2002 ST V6.

Absolutely no problems with it on the bumper hitch. This ST has 250,00 km ( 160,000 mile ) on it.The trailer has hydraulic surge brakes on it that due make a big difference when towing.

Yea, youll be able to pull 3000 pounds with the ball on the bumper. But, after pulling my jet ski, and going down a boat ramp, after the trailer did a hard turn, the chains went into my bumper....oh well gives it a nice touch though:lol:

Latest posts