Towingn Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Stamps

Reaction score
I need to get an understanding of something. When driving my 02 ST, I would put the truck in Overdrive when I was going to tow.; If I undersand the manual in my now 09 ST, I am automatically driving in OD and now when I tow my boat, I need to disengage the OD so as not to be driving in overdrive. Correct?

what does your owners manual say? It also depends on terrain, and the size and weight of whatever you're towing..

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 02...and the button on the gear selector is used to disengage the overdrive when you tow..if you need to. It simply keeps the transmission from going into overdrive. When the button is not depressed, the transmission is allowed to shift into overdrive. The selection is overdrive in either case...but using the button keeps the transmission from getting that far.

I see no reason why an 09 would be any different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dealer reccomened me to disengage my overdrive when pulling my enclosed snowmobile trailer with 2 sleds. I have the v8 awd 6 speed,

I've had an '05 and now an '08, both V6 automatics. In both the OD is automatically "ON" when you start it and you have to hit the button shut it off. Generally you should tow with the OD off but I will leave it on if I am on a level road and the tranny isn't shifting back and forth a lot.

Latest posts