Toyota Engine Recall

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Miles

Reaction score
I read today Toyota is recalling 400,000 vehicles due to engine problems. I wonder how far it will go? At this point it is just a few autos in the U.S. Those of you who have had problems or friends who have, might want to keep an eye on this.

Here's another recall -

DETROIT, July 19 (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp. (7203.T: Quote, Profile, Research) is recalling 367,594 SUVs, including hybrids, in the United States because some loose clips from the floor carpet cover could obstruct the functioning of the accelerator pedal, U.S. safety regulators said.

The vehicles involved in the recall are Lexus RX330 and Toyota Highlander SUVs from 2004-2005 model years, Lexus RX400H hybrid and Highlander hybrid SUVs from 2006 model year, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said on its Web site on Wednesday.

And a link to first...

I agree a clip sounds pretty trivial. However, the potential imlications are evidently severe for it to reach recall status.

Couple more...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japan Inquiry Into Accident Could Tarnish Toyota Image

New York Times 07/13/06

by Martin Fackler

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOKYO, July 12 -- An investigation by the local Japanese police into an accident involving a Toyota sport utility vehicle threatens to turn into an embarrassing scandal for the carmaker, which has built its success on a reputation for reliability.

On Tuesday, the police in Kumamoto, a small city in southern Japan, accused Toyota of failing to recall the type of S.U.V. involved in an accident in 2004 that injured a family of five, despite having known for years of a fault in the steering assembly. Toyota started issuing recalls for the vehicle, called a Hilux Surf in Japan and a 4Runner in the United States, two months after the accident.

The police asked local prosecutors to investigate three current and former executives in Toyota's head office for possible negligence in their decision not to issue the recall earlier, or to take other safety measures, said Akitoshi Takahashi, an officer in the city police traffic division. He refused to identify the three, but said prosecutors were reviewing the request before deciding whether to file charges. The Kumamoto district prosecutor's office declined to comment.

Toyota discovered the design flaw in 1996, after customer complaints prompted an internal inquiry, but decided that the problem was not big enough to merit a recall, a spokesman, Paul Nolasco, said. It issued a statement on Tuesday saying it believed that the "three individuals concerned addressed the matter appropriately," but also promised to cooperate with the investigation and to strengthen its quality control.

Still, "Toyota views this as a serious case and a serious accusation," Mr. Nolasco added.

Analysts said the accusation was unlikely to grow into a big enough problem to derail Toyota's push to overtake General Motors and become the world's largest carmaker. But they said that the failure to disclose the flaw promptly and fix it was an embarrassing misstep for the company. The analysts also recalled the troubles at another Japanese vehicle manufacturer, the truck and bus maker Mitsubishi Fuso. Its sales dropped two years ago after the authorities concluded that it had covered up a defective front axle that led to the death of a pedestrian.

"Mitsubishi's brand suffered for a long time as a result of the negative publicity," said Koichi Sugimoto, an analyst at Nomura Securities in Tokyo. "The risk for Toyota is that this incident becomes the same sort of public issue."

Mr. Sugimoto said he thought that Toyota would be more successful at damage control than Mitsubishi, partly because it had already recalled the vehicles in question and because Mitsubishi's problems were more widespread.

Still, Toyota's image has started to take a battering in Japan, where the police accusation was a top item in Wednesday's newspapers. The effect was particularly acute because Toyota has become a source of national pride here for its success in besting Detroit.

"A life-threatening flaw," a headline in Tokyo Shimbun read. "Has the world leader grown smug?"

Toyota said the defect was in a part of the steering assembly, the relay rod, which Toyota said was prone to bending. The company said a rising number of customer complaints had already prompted it to begin reconsidering whether to issue a recall when the accident in Kumamoto happened in August 2004.

In the accident, a sudden steering problem caused a Hilux Surf to swerve into oncoming traffic and strike another vehicle, Toyota and the police said. The driver of the Hilux Surf was unharmed, but all five members of the family traveling in the other vehicle, including three childre

My buddies 04 Mach 1 mustang had the same recall for the carpet clip. Same concern about it getting stuck under either the accelerator or the brake.

hehe Scott, I am a bit shocked, too.

What about the whiners that say the press is biased towards bashing only domestic makes? Most likely the same whiners who say the press is always bashing the President.

Just hopped into my Toyota at lunch... no loose carpeting, no engine leaks, just 3.5 years of trouble-free driving at 31.85mpg :)

Last edited by a moderator:
still won't keep from saying that toyota is still number 1. :D

reliability, quality, resale value, are all the reasons

Well R, since Toyota overtook Ford in production years ago, a few recalls don't surprise me.

They will overtake GM in the next 2 years. We'll see who is smiling then.

Pinto, Fiero, Explorer, etc., etc.

US automakers have had issues for decades. I haven't read of any Japanese models blowing up, rolling over or catching on fire.

Gary, Darin, NelsonOKC....go ahead and gloat :D your preferences for the m-ports....who cares. I've seen EVERY MAKE ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD FOR SOME REASON OR OTHER! I MEAN EVERY MAKE! WHEN, and/or IF, the mports take the lead as you predict, does it mean anything to me? NO. I like FORD, GMC, and what used to be Chrysler vehicles. So gloat on, guys,;) it doesn't mean anything to me and I don't take it personal.That's just your OPINION(S) and this is still AMERICA. Share your glee for those cars....someday they will all be useless, as are a lot of EVERY MAKE OF AUTOMOBILE that's running perfect right now! 5 years, 10 years, 20+ years, whatever, someday they will all die, as we humans eventually will!:cool:

mrmarvyn: Imagine how bad Ford, GM and Daimler/Chrysler would be without foreign competition? We'd still have Pintos, Vegas, and Gremlins running around! :)

mrmarvyn,

you are 100% right, this is still America and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

as far as the domestic versus import debate, my experience has been that the imports ( not all ) are of superior quality. i run a fleet of 50+ vehicles and the 30 ford focus wagons i had 2 years ago sucked !. resale, reliability issues were terrible. when i switched to the toyota matrix, i noticed a 60% decrease in maintanance cost and a near 70% in resale value. well then i switched our sales staff from chevy impala's to toyota camry's and i am seeing the same results. my point is that the American car company's need to kick it up as they are lagging in part due to the greedy union workers they employ. don't get me wrong i love my trac ( new tranny at 30k miles! ) and my dream car is a new corvette Z06 !.

i made a huge mistake by replacing our ford ranger with a chevy colorado. i hope i don't offend anyone but what a piece of junk !. next time it will be a toyota tacomma.

all manufactures have issues , but it seems that the American's need to improve before it's to late.

just my opinion, don't want to start any wars.

have a good day :D

Latest posts