TPMS sensors

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blksn8k

Reaction score
What are the latest options for TPMS sensors for my 2007 Trac? I know there are the HUF brand as well as the OEM Motorcraft parts but what other options might there be besides black tape on the dash?:grin:

The reason I ask is that I am planning to buy a set of aftermarket wheels to use during the warm weather months. Ideally I would use the OEM TPMS sensors but I am not really interested in adding another 100 plus dollars to the cost of each wheel. I know there are other less expensive ($55-60 per wheel) brands like HUF but those require reprogramming. I assume I would need to reprogram every time I switch between the factory wheels and the aftermarket wheels. Would the $30 hand held programmers work for both setups?

You can buy a set of used OEMs on ebay for about $100/set. I did this to my 20's and they worked great. From experience, I would recommend that when installing the sensor/band type, use Gorilla duck tape to make sure the bands stay secure inside the wheel.

And yes, you will need to have the sensors reprogrammed each and every time you swap rims.

Get used ones from ebay.

Last Fall I bought a new Kia Optima for my daughter and wanted her to have dedicated snow tires for winter but I wasn't going to keep paying to dismount/remount tires twice year as that can get costly.

The USED sensors work fantastic. Forget the learn tool initially and just tell the place that does the mount/balance of the spare set (recommend 'Roadforce' balance) that they'll need to program them. Later you can invest in the learn tool and follow the procedure here to do your at-home changeovers (copy/paste link) http://www.thetpmsforum.com/showthread.php?1800-Ford-Explorer-(2006-2013)-TPMS-Reset-Procedure

These here are a real good buy for a set of 4 (FORD OEM PART#6L2A-1A176-AF): This is most likely the Part# you have. See link below

Anything unique about the valve stems? Do they need to have provisions for attaching any part of the sensors?

Damn blksn8k, you got a great deal on those! Especially with the new bands and mounting clips.

I believe you need to install the sensor itself 180 deg. opposite the valve stem and the band screw fastener around the valve stem location so as to help offset the balance. You may want to do that before you bring your wheels to the tire place so they don't screw it up.

"Anything unique about the valve stems? Do they need to have provisions for attaching any part of the sensors?"

No, they're just regular valve stems. The valve stems have nothing to do with band type sensors (which I'm assuming you got from ebay) and don't connect in any way whatsoever. You may be thinking of the other types of sensors which are integrated with a metal valve stem assembly. Install band sensors as mentioned in my post above.

Thanks, you should see the deal I just got on four new BFG 265/70/17 All-Terrain T/As load range E (10 ply). All four tires with shipping from TX for $800. They were delivered today. The same tires with shipping from Tire Rack would have cost me $1101.28.

I am obviously switching from the Limited 18" wheels to a 17" wheel. Better and less expensive tire and wheel choices. I have been running the same tires but in a 265/65/18 size on the factory Limited wheels and I plan to keep those for winter use. The 265/70/17s are only .1" taller than the 265/65/18s (31.8" vs 31.7") which means they will not require any further adjustment of the speedometer than I have already made.

BTW, I have not made a decision on wheels yet but is it possible to use '99 Mustang Cobra 17x8 wheels on a 2nd gen Sport Trac? I know both vehicles use a 5x4.5"(114.3mm) bolt pattern and everything I have read says they even have the same 70.3mm hub bore. I just happen to have four of those wheels and the black Cobra they came off of which explains my username. :grin:

OK, I went to a tire shop today to have them remove the tires from my 99 Cobra wheels so I can install the Motorcraft band type TPMS sensors on those wheels. While I was there I asked if they could reprogram the sensors once the new tires were installed. They told me they can only do that with aftermarket sensors, not the OEM sensors. I suspect their goal is to sell me their valve stem mounted sensors.

Anyway, if I buy a Motorcraft TPMS19 programmer and follow this procedure I should be able to do it myself, right?

Success! After having the original tires removed from the 17x8 Cobra wheels I brought them home, added the band type TPMS sensors and then took them back and had the 265/70/17 BFG All-Terrain KOs installed. The tire shop's hand-held programmer worked perfectly. No error codes or silly little lights on the dash. If the member library was working I could show a picture of the ST with the Cobra wheels. :angry:

[Broken External Image]:

Since the member library seems to be broken you might be able to see a photo here:

Last edited by a moderator:
I got new ones at NAPA for $50 each and had them put on when I got new tires. The warning light still came on so i took it to the Ford dealer who reset them for free. The light still comes on but not nearly as often as it used to. The OE sensors were the band type, the new ones are valve stem sensors but they work relatively fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
@blksn8k

Good deal that you got the band sensors programmed. Yeah you should get that programming tool off ebay for the future and then you can do your own tire changeovers at home.

The wheels look nice on the track.

@JohnnyO

Why on earth would you pay $200.00 for sensors and they don't work 100% even? Look at blksn8k, he got all 4 band sensors with new hardware for $56.00 from the ebay seller.

Looks GREAT!!!

18" diameter wheels are too big for our Tracs. 16 or 17" would look so much better, and there are a bunch more tire options for those smaller wheels too.

Congrats!

Latest posts