Tra"05 STtransfer case mystery solved!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim B

Reaction score
Talked to the Ford Stealership mechanic who finally got it right after 5 wks of trying. He said the main engagement gear,which engages the transfer case, was installed backward on the shaft on the factory assembly line! He says it fits both ways but won't keep working when reversed. It failed [kept jumping in and out] when it began to wear. It also broke the engaging/lock pin in the process.

Final itemized bill? 22 Total new parts installed [including a new transfer case shell-he broke the old one taking it off] My cost: $100 deductable.

Who says an extended warrenty doesnt payoff?:cool: Well -at least it did this time!:blink:

Good comment!

I'm sure the orig warrenty would have covered it

The extended warrenty covers beyond 3 yrs/36K miles up to 60K miles. So my original warrenty was gone when my TC $hit the bed @56K miles. My deductible on the extended is $100

Jim, I agree with Ron's comment. It doesn't make sence that you would have to pay a deductible for something that was wrong straight from the factory. Might be worth looking into. I know it's only $100 for all the work that was done, but it's $100 out of your pocket for something that the factory screwed up.;)

Rodger - nope, the tranny is built in france, I am pretty sure the transfer case is a USA item.

Points well taken!:) I maybe should try to get the $100 back but I consider its worth taking a small hit to get a $1,500[or more] rebuild job for $100 .I plan on keeping this ST until the odometer throws up from too many numbers! Plus the TC is warrentied again for a while.

Also, I've previously bot several Ford Exploders from another Stealership and had major problems w/only one of them.BUT- I basically had to go ballistic and pi$$d them off in order to get warrenty work done.It totaled $6K! After me tearing them up big time-They were not happy campers whenever they saw me walk in. The current ST Stealership made a sincere attempt to correct the problem but a visual inspection of the parts didn't turn up the reversed gear immed.

They never blew me off. What irritated me was the length of time they took to ID the problem [unavoidable given the weird problem] and the fact they pulled my free rental car after 2- 1/2 wks.

But all that ends well- is well! :cool::cool: Thanks for the input!

Be nice but request your $100. They said it was a manufacturing mistake. Think about gas prices..:D

Latest posts