Trac Running Rough

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keola P

Reaction score
Hey Guys...The trac has been running rough lately. Started out as an occasional bump, kind of like someone hopping around in the engine bay. Tried to retrieve some DTC codes and nothing comes up. Cleaned the TB, IAC, and did the seafoam in the brake booster line and gas tank. Didn't fix the problem. Today while driving home, seems like the bump occurs more rapidly as opposed to occasionally. Engine sputters slightly upon acceleration as well, and there's a different tone to the exhaust, more throaty/raspy/sputtery instead of the normal smooth tone. Tried to retrieve DTC codes again today and still nothing comes up. Engine idles fine with no fluctuations in RPMs, just can figure out what the bumping and exhaust tone is all about. Also tried changing up the xcal tunes, and it does the same on all of them. Any ideas?

Thanks for the suggestions Guys. Hey Rodger, don't you think the seafoam would have taken care of the injectors?

Keola, That's just what popped into my head. Just attacking the problem from a different direction. Couldn't hurt anyway. I would email Todd Z, Cayman, and Bill Barber since I have not seen them on this side of the board in a while. Fast Eddie is very knowledgable too, so I would email him too.

Keola, the techron injector cleaner is the best on the market. Since this seems to be on acceleration. I wouldnt rule out an injector or fuel presure. Also how many miles on your plug wires or plugs. If you have stock wires. I have seen them break down under a higher curent demand. Same with a plug. Stock wires are graphite filiment based. I have seen new ones brake down. I always replace with a name brand spiral core wire. If you have the SD coil, we have had a few members with bad ones. Have you tried cleaning the MAF? May have oil and dirt on the wires from the K&N. Used to happen to my stang all the time.

All this isjust a guessing game. Especialy with out codes. With all my years of cars I still get stumped..LOL

Again, thanks for the suggestions. Eddie, the trac is just over 40,000 miles and still has the original plugs, wires, and coil. Didn't clean the MAF yet, just the TB, and IAC, along with seafoam in the gas tank and brake booster line. It's frustrating trying to figure out what's wrong without any codes, especially when you're trying to cram at the end of the semester. I'll try to figure something out this weekend. Thanks all..

Sounds like you have a classic secondary ignition misfire issue. Start the truck, set the parking brake, press as hard as you can on the brake pedal, put it in drive and then start pressing the gas slowly adn smoothly until you have it floored, chances are if it is a secondary misfire you will feel it, this may take a couple of tries. If that doesn't produce any results try mixing up a spray bottle with a salt water solution adn then mist the spark plug wires while the engine is running, chances are it will start to misfire ...this works really well in the dark that way you can actually see the spark jumping out of the spark plug wires. You should also be able to hear the spark snap also if there is a issue. If you know anyone there that has a name brand scanner they can access mode 6 data adn see which cylinder is actually misfiring. You may wait a long time for the check engine light to turn on due to a misfire on a Ford that's why the mode 6 data comes in extremely handy.

Latest posts