Trac wouldnt move when put in gear...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drum brakes are garbage. They don't stop well, they are complicated, and are prone to stick. To top it off, they are ugly.

That's funny coming from a guy who still thinks all trucks need a solid rear axle :)

I figured you'd say since Drum Brakes have served trucks faithfully for years, they were irreplaceable. :)

Ha Ha Darin. I thought about his sentence for a bit, and then just let it go.

I like the "they are ugly" part. I remember that was the reply I'd get in Elementary school when someone was losing an argument. "Well...you're ugly!", always meant I had won the argument! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, this makes sense then, the weather just started getting cold and it was a drastic change,, lets just hope this doesnt turn into a problem

Thanks for all of your help

Ryan

Disc brake pads can 'rust' and form a 'bond' with the rotor if there is moisture present. The pop you heard could be the pads breaking free from the rotor. I've had it happen on my wife's Accord with 4 wheel discs, so it's not just a drum brake problem. If it happens again, get out and look at the rotors. Sometimes you can see the outline of the pads on the rotor where it had bonded to it.

Yeah, my parking brake is very whimpy. The dealer said there is no manual adjustment (and I have followed the cable from the pedal to the rear axle, and I counldn't find any adjuster, except to re-crimp the cable stop a little tighter.

I don't think adjusting would help anyway, the pedal doesn't go to the floor--it gets quite a bit resistance.

Don't get me wrong, the parking brake might help some, but it ain't gonna hold the truck from moving.

My old drum brakes held great with the parking brake. If I were to have pushed the brake to the floor, without flooring the Trac it would not move. That is a fact. If they don't hold right, they arent working correctly. Pull the drum and check everything out. There is no way I could drive 20 MPH with my parking brake on.

Nelson, Disk brakes have a better track record for stoping then drums do. Light duty chassis like the F-53, F-250 SD, F-350 SD, F-450, F-550, and the LCF all have 4 wheel disk brakes. Interesting enough, they also have a solid rear axle.

Anything larger then that uses air brakes and they are a whole different animal.

An IRS is nothing more then a FWD setup on the back of a vehicle. We know how well FWD vehicles handle the abuse of towing and heavy weight. With an IRS, you have a harder time adding leafs if you need to haul more weight simply because it doesn't have leaf springs.

Tom