Track is losing it's stuffing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Allen

Reaction score
I've got an 07 track. Last week, from a distance, I noticed on the passengers what appeared to be a mud flap behind the front passengers tire. It looked a little strange, because I've never had mud flaps. Upon closer inspection I noticed it was a piece of foam hanging down from between the wheel well cowling and, well, whatever is behind it. I tried to stuff it back in but noticed it hanging again a day later, this time almost touching the ground. I decided to pull it out so I wouldn't lose it on the road. It turned out to be a piece of foam about 2 to 2.5 feet long and about 6 inches wide on average. I'm assuming its to dampen any rattles or prevent the cowling/whatever from rubbing/vibrating together. This week, I noticed and did the same thing to the drivers side. Has anyone else noticed this? Can anyone confirm what it is used for? I plan on taking it in for warranty on my next oil change, but I'd like to have some sort of idea what it is incase I get a run around from the wonderful service rep. (Like the, "we've done everything and cant find a problem with your transmission" TSB issues)

Rob

I have the same truck - not experienced this one (yet). Sounds like the "Screw guy" on the assembly line fell asleep before he screwed the cowling in. :blink:

Just wait 'til one of you discovers the roughly one square foot block of squishy foam under the hood...

Rob,

Is the foam soft or is it stiff? If it is soft, it is likely a sound deadening stuffer as Fast Eddie Suggested. If it is stiff, it actually may be some impact absorbing foam. Considering where you are saying it is however, I would suspect the former rather than the later.

Rocks

Rocks,

It's soft, I'm sure it's a sound deadening foam, it's only about 1/2 inch thick. Looks like they may have forgot to put a push plug in that would hold it in place. I'll take it back, see what they say.

(Like the, "we've done everything and cant find a problem with your transmission" TSB issues)

Have you tried Dingo's fix? I've never taken mine in for one of those TSB thingies and now very grateful that I didn't. My tranny runs fantastic now after trying Dingo's fix.

Now, with the idea of foam falling out of our trucks is giving me a 'warm fuzzy feeling'. I figure when you take your truck in, the service rep will come off with something like "why did you yank the foam out". :unsure:

It's under the intake manifold and above the block. Look carefully between the intake manifold runners and you can see it.