TRACTION CONTROL

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al alision 2

Reaction score
Here might be considered a dumb ^%$# question. I have in the past had LOTS of 4x4s, including a 2004 Adrenalin Trek. That being said, I have purchased a 2007 Limited V* but...I notice that of course, instead of 4x4 high and 4x4 low.. I have "auto 4x4" and what looks to be a traction control button as well to in them middle of the button line (wife's ford focus has one of these traction control buttons with similar markings, ie: tires skidding)....

Being from old school with only two settings on all my 4x4s, when is the recommended time to put the "auto" 4x4 on.. ie: like driving in rain, and there is a possiblity there will be slippage? IF its in auto, is the front diff engaged or will it only engage in a 4x4 capacity when there is slippage from the rear diff? And, what is the difference between that and the other button that looks like a traction control button? Isn't this in essence the same?

Thanks everyone

The rear is allways engauged..... The front will grab if the rear tires slip... IT is quick and the rear tires will not slip at all, maybe a slight chirp...

Use the 4x4 in Snow, heavy rain. Other then that, not needed, the truck will do it for you..

The traction control also helps eliminate wheel slip, so it is all there so you do not spin the tires...

Todd Z

I'd like to tag onto this issue, in hopes that someone can help. I also have an '07 Limited 4x4 V8. My problem (or major irritation!) is that the traction control, AKA auto 4WD, is kicking in all the time, many times even when there is no rear slippage. Hard acceleration at speed will cause it to kick in. It's in 4WD more than not. Then, it takes several minutes of driving for it to revert to 2WD!! I took it in to the dealer, and they said there is nothing wrong with it per their diagnostic computer... I'm not buying it. There has to be some sort of tweek available. Anyone else have the same issue, and know what the fix is?:angry: