trade in time' 05 for '08?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim B

Reaction score
Just curious what others have been offered in trade towards a new loaded '08 ST Limited stickered at 35K. My trade is '05 xlt 4x4 mint condition w/56K miles, no carfax or issues.New transfer case by way of extended warrenty. They want to steal my[that's why they call it Stealership!:blink:] '05 for 11K And then i imagine they will retail it for 17-18K. They offered 2K off new vehicle sticker also. Stinky deal I think!:angry:

i can trade m 05 for almost 15k, granted i have only 27k miles and i've yet to replace anything, but then they will take off what i havent been able to pay off yet, so that brings it down to around 12-12.5k.

hmm... a limited tho? dont like the adren?

if you can get an x plan, ford rebates count towards that.

You'll save more using and X plan than not using one.

A place to check is ...see if your employer has a fleet account...if they do, ask the fleet manager if he can give you the company fleet member number so you can apply for a xplan pin number for yourself. It doesn't cost your company anything to do this and you still get your trade in value (whatever that will be ) with the discounted xplan and rebates. My company offered this to employees as an extra benefit...

Let me put my 2 cents in regarding trade in's.

Every car I've ever traded in was a huge disappointment - no matter where I went.

Example: My last car - an 04 Focus ZX3 Premium with 30k miles. Seriously, (and I'm NOT exaggerating) it was in mint condition - loaded with everything - and I mean everything. Paint was like new with a brilliant shine - serviced BY FORD every 3k miles according to the book. New tires all around... get the picture?

I went on Kelly Blue Book as well as other sites and did an assessment of the value.

In every case, they valued it from 6k (Poor condition) to 9k (Great condition). In every case, the dealers offered me 5,500k at the best. That's it. :angry: My point is; dealers will always take the lowest trade in value - as if it were towed in - regardless of the condition and then chop that down some more.

Jim and Reaper, if you think you can get 11K and 15k for your STs, you may want to look again. Dealers all stink in this area. I understand that they need to make a profit but - come on! My dealer valued mine at 6k on my preliminary visit - then, when I went to make the deal, they cut it back to 5,500 at the time of the deal. I walked at that point till they came back with the 6k they told me. Even at that, 6k was ridiculous. They car was really nice with hardly any miles (30k).

My last point is - when trading in a car, be prepared to be disappointed. The condition of the car makes no difference, they will give you the lowest trade in regardless.

There - Just stepped down off my soap box! :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just picked up an 08 Limited, stickered for $35,720...got $16,500 trade in on my 05 ST xlt premium 4x4 w/36,500 miles...I got a "D" plan price plus $4000 in rebates...brought it down total with taxes to just over $30,000....

My 05 is now on the lot advertised at $20,990

I've been trying to trade for about 6 months, but couldnt stand giving up my trac for such a low trade...but the extra rebates helped make up for the difference, and after looking at other 05 Tracs similar to mine, anything over 16k trade in was ok with me. By the way, love the new 08!! Looking to add 20" adrenalin wheels and many other mods to come...will post pics soon!!

Just picked up an 08 Limited, stickered for $35,720...got $16,500 trade in on my 05 ST xlt premium 4x4 w/36,500 miles...I got a "D" plan price plus $4000 in rebates...brought it down total with taxes to just over $30,000....

Did you have an outstanding balance on the 05? Or do you mean $20,000? :)

For the last 20yrs, I dont trade. I sell it myself. Some were sold from my driveway, before I could get an autotrader listing. Word of mouth my niegbors know I take care of our cars. Some have been sold to their freinds, one to a neighbor himself. I have definitly came out better than a trade. Made it easier to make a deal for cash at the stealership, without the trade.

I lease a new truck every three years. Turned in an '05 Trac for an '08. FWIW, the lease buyout on my '05 with 45k was $14,800. Offer the dealer book retail off the sticker on the new one, they'll still make money.

To clarify the pricing questions... sticker was $35720, my D plan price was $32,000.

subtract $16,500 for the trade= $15,500

add tax, title and lic. =$16,801

add payoff on 05, which was approx. $16,500, which is what I was offered for trade in...

=$33,301

subtract the $4000 rebate...

final price=$29,301

This was for a 2008 Limited, Dark Cherry, v8 4x4 with dark graph leather,power roof, chrome package, class III tow pkg, Limited Elect. pkg, cd6/mp3/subwoofer premium sound/sync system, adj pedals, premium cloth floor mats, reverse sensing system, tonneau cover....pretty much everything I wanted...no navigation, no rear seat entertain. system...

I have always had great luck selling vehicles outright myself...lately it seems to be getting a little more difficult, it takes longer and you have a lot of people who waste your time. Most of the people who are looking that I have dealt with, have a vehicle they want to sell/trade in as well...which makes it difficult when trying to hammer out a deal. Just when you think you have struck a deal, you find out they have to sell their vehicle first. Dont forget to figure the sales tax savings you will gain by trading your vehicle in, which in my case was $1278.00. That means I would have to sell mine outright for $17,800 to break even with the trade in value. To me, it wasnt worth the hassle and time spent showing it to potential customers, not to mention the cost of running ads, detailing, ...etc.... Plus I was a little over-anxious when I found out about the extra rebates, and had my dealer locate the exact vehicle for me. Plus the interest rates are pretty low right now, so check out a new one if you're interested!!! There are deals out there, just stand your ground, and pick YOUR deal!!!

I have never had any luck getting a good trade-in value when trying to use X-plan. I am eligible due to my employer being a Ford supplier. I have actually had a salesman tell me they could not offer more than wholesale on my trade-in because they were selling me a new vehicle at X-plan price. I was pissed. I told them this was supposed to be an added incentive for me, not a reason for them to screw me on a trade. The guy says "Don't even go there" and I said "Where, out the door?" and got up and left.

Get them to appraise the trade and put the number in writing BEFORE you tell them you're X-Plan.

Traded my stock 05 on 11/15/07 and still under original factory warranty till 4/08 on a new 08 XLT with some nice options included. My trade value was 12,500, Bought the 08 (MSRP...31,3000.) for 15001.00 after trade in and all discounts were applied. ..not including tax/tags. Love the 08 V8 having owned two Sport Tracs over the years that were V-6's.

I just got $11K for my 03 XLT Primium that stickered for $26K. The truck had less than 33K miles on it and looked like it came off the showroom. I had the truck detail before I took it to the dealer for a trade-in evaluation. I would have been happy to get $10K for it

The salesman told me that the guy who looked at the truck said it was in absolutely perfect condition ! I also traded in my wife's 03 Saturn Ion with only 23K miles and I got $7000 for that car. That is exactly what I wanted. Afain, it was detailed and the dealer said the car was perfect..not a scratch or chip on it anywhere. He said all he had to do was put new tires on it and put it on his lot.

I think that's all he did because it was on the front row of his used car lot about a week later, and by the next week it was gone. I never did see the Sport Trac on his lot, so he either sold it immediately or someone at the dealership bought it, or is driving it?

...Rich

Get them to appraise the trade and put the number in writing BEFORE you tell them you're X-Plan.

By doing that you are breaking one of the terms and conditions of X-Plan. By doing that, the dealer can make your PIN null.

Just a little heads up.

Tom