Trailer brake lights

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug K 2

Reaction score
Got a new to me trailer and the guy told me that when you put the turn signals the brake lights will flash. I figured it would be easier to just wire the trailer brake lights into my Tracs brake lights. Not entirely sure how to do that. Could use some help. I don't want to re-wire the whole trailer. Thanks.

What kind/brand of trailer is it? Does the trailer have separate lights for turn signals and brake lights? Most trailers the brake lights double as turn signals like our ST's.

by Walms 2/12/2015 08:35 ET

Hello there just a fun guy lookin for a swell time in my sports trac hmu at 615-970-9729!!! Im lookin for a hot date possibly male and a good time!

Your done for man you might as well trade in your crappy ford for a chevy that runs deep!

Troll alert.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would unwrap/untape the trailer wiring near the pigtail that plugs into the truck. Someone may have connected the wires wrong. Had a problem like that with one of my trailers when I bought it. As I recall, there should be a yellow wire on each side for taillights, a brown wire on one side, and a green wire on the other for turn signals. White is ground. If the ground wire is connected wrong, it will cause all kinds of weird things.

You can do a search on the internet for wiring a trailer.

You're far better off getting the trailer wired correctly now than taking a shortcut to get it to work. I've done it both ways.

I was always told in trailer light wiring

White = ground wire ( improper ground either side of plug = many problems)

Brown = tail lights - can not write nasty thoughts that were mentioned here.

Yellow = left signal ( also brake ) think yellow centre line on highway

Green = right signal (also brake ) think grassy side of driving lane

Hope this helps anyone remember which wire go where.

Latest posts