Tranny- again- less than 14 months after repaired by Ford

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jose Ayala

Reaction score

Believe it or not, not even 14 months from when my Tranny was fixed by local Ford dealership, I took it today to Ford again since I saw RPM's going up when tranny was shifting from first to second. Waranty was 12 months or 12k miles, and I was 1k miles above warranty and 1 month over.

Ford just called and they say that the tranny is bad, that I need another 2,800.00 dollars to do a soft overhaul.

This is crazy, what options do I have, anything I can use or do?

Jose

That sucks. I would appeal to Ford for some sort of adjustment, but I doubt they will play. The original was covered 3/36, why not the replacement. If it is still drivable and not to noticeable to the uneducated consumer, I would trade it ASAP at a different dealership. On what, you decide.

It is a shame, but you could have bought the extended warranty for less than this cost, but you shouldn't have to.

Oh no you said the dirty words!!!!!! Extended Warranty.. People here do not like those words.. I agree it should not be needed but 1 problem and it just paid for itself.

Back to the original topic now. I would not pay anyone 2800.00 for a "soft overhaul"!! What in the hell is a soft overhaul anyway???

Type in 5R55E into Goggle and you will probably find a rebuilt tranny for a quarter of that price.

Ask around, and take it to a quality independent. Might find out it is only in the valve body.

thanks all, just for everyone too know, i had extended warranty, first repair took place when i had 73k miles, covered under warranty.

Ford did not want to repair it because of my mods ( headers, cold air intake, 20") but after three weeks, they finally went ahead with repairs. now, 13k miles later tranny is acting again and i was told not covered since warranty expired at 12k or 12 months.

Jose,

Sorry to hear about your tranny issues.....seems probs always happen just after the warranty expires.

I had a car back in the '70's and blew the trans.....had it replaced by Aamco and paid them an extra 200 bucks for their lifetime warranty which stated as long as I owned the car regardless of milage would be replaced free of charge.

Seems these tranny's are the number one issue Ford has on these trucks. I hope you get yours resolved one way or another.

I'm a bit confused. Is the extended warranty expired? They're usually 5yr/100k is it past 5 years? According to your mileage (73+13) you're still under. I wouldn't think that if the extended is still valid they can limit you to 12/12 for the tranny.

That being said, if warranty is nolonger valid, get away from Ford for repairs. There are plenty of independents out there that can do the same job or better for less.

It could be that the warranty takes effect from the vehicle in service date or something like that.

People often confuse our CPO 6/100 to be added to the current age and mileage of the vehicle when, in fact, it goes from the in service date when it was first titled.