tranny cooler

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Wasch

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a B&M transmission cooler for my trac, as i do alot of towing. Would it make a noticeable difference or would it be a waste of money?

Yes, !!!!

Here is mine with a fan, But the fan has Never come on, So don't waste the money on the fan, and as bill said, the deeper tranny pan is great addition !!

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Todd,

so you are running two tranny coolers? How is your configuration?

Did you go from original tranny cooler to new one and viceversa to go back to tranny?

thanks,

Jose

Jose,

I am running all 3.....

It goes into the radiator cooler, then in to the OEM single cooler and then into the B&M and then back to the tranny..

Todd Z

I tried to search through the older posts, but where can I get the deeper tranny pan? How much are they and how much more fluid do they take?

The OEM ones are between $45 and $50 from ford dealers, and the one like todd has is at: http://www.yourcovers.com/transpan_9614-2.php. They range between $225 and $335. I think the oem ones are 2 quarts over, and then other ones say they are 3 quarts over...

The OEM 4X4 pan holds about two quarts more than the OEM 4X2 pan.

Just remember, if you have a 4X2 and you're going to switch to either an OEM 4X4 or aftermarket larger capacity pan, you'll need to get the 4X4 filter.

I"ve got the 4x4 pan, Would I really notice a diffenece if I got the aftermarket if it only holds 1 more quart? or would I be better off adding a second tranny cooler like Todd's?

They range between $225 and $335. I think the oem ones are 2 quarts over, and then other ones say they are 3 quarts over...

225 bucks for a pan that has _one_ more quart? Am I missing something here?

KL, Since I have the 4x4 which is 2 quarts over, I was assuming the extra pan had 3 quarts over the 4X2 therefore 1 more quart over the 4x4 unless I am mistaken.

So for say 300 bucks I can gain 3 quarts over my 4x2 stock pan...or for 50 bucks I can upgrade to the 4x4 oem pan and gain 2 quarts?

So if I had a 4x4, I'd have to pay 300 bucks just to gain one more quart? Ouch.

I belive the PML is 3 qts over the 4x4 pan, is also finned aluminum, you have a mag drain plug and an extra Boss to install a temp gauge.

Is not for everyone, works for me, my tranny temps rarely exceed 130.

I don't tow but if I did, with as pricy and sensitive as the 5R55Es are, would want all the protection I could get, plus the ability to monitor what is going on in real time.JMO

Do not think the 4x4 pan is anywhere near two qts over the 4x2, maybe two pints.

Is just a deeper sump.

Last edited by a moderator: