Tranny Fluid change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know someone has flushed their transmission fluid in a similar manner about 7-8 years ago. I don't recall who it was but they used a similar procedure with one minor exception. They did not blow compressed air into the hose to flush the fluid out of the transmission cooler...which was a nice touch:supercool:

I am a big advocate of flushing the transmission rather than just draining the pan and getting only half the old fluid out.

The only difference between the Sport Trac and the Honda transmissions is that most US cars do not come with a transmission drain plug. So the first time you do this flush procedure, you will need to drop the transmission pan and install and aftermarket drain plug....Now you are ready to Flush your own transmission when every you want, and it will only cost you for the fluid.

I did think it was funny that the Honda only needed 7 quarts of fluid, while the Sport Trac requires a lot more (10-14 quarts).

...Rich

Did he say any where that the Honda tranny you check with the car off where most cars its with the car running ????

Also some cars have to be in gear for the fluid to pump, Some you have to rev the engine.....

I did not watch the whole thing..

Todd Z

Todd,

Yes, he did check the fluid level without the engine running, and I know most vehicles require that the engine be running to get an accurate reading. Perhaps he did that only so the engine noise would not interfer with sound on the recording. He probably should have said to check the level as prescribed in your owners manual and add fluid as necessary.

And Yes, again...some vehicles require increasing the engine speed to about 1500-2000 rpm to get the fluid to pump out of the transmission. The Sport Trac is one that requires an increased RPM before the transmission pump can push the fluid out but it does not have to be in gear. I think the only transmissions that require the transmission to be in gear to pump are those with a rear pump (driven off the output shaft) and I do not know of any rear pump transmission used in over 40 years?? I noted that the engine on the Honda was running much faster than idle, but he did not mention it.

Overall I think it was a good video for a homemade production, even thought he did fail to mention a few points that should have been discussed.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, Good .. good and Good...... And I don't believe the rear pump is anywhere out there any more either...

Todd Z

For those who may not know what the hell we are talking about when we mention "rear Pump" Transmissions, here is a quick overview.

Years ago, automatic transmissions used pumps that were driven by the output shaft of the transmission. That allowed the vehicle to be pushed started by another vehicle. If you could push the vehicle to about 25-30 MPH there would be enough pump pressure generated by the rear pump to engage the torque converter and turn the engine fast enough to allow it to start....much like pushing a manual transmission vehicle and then engaging the clutch to spin the engine when you cannot get the starter to work due to a low battery.

That also allow you to tow an automatic transmission vehicle with the rear wheels (drive wheels) on the ground since the transmission was being lubed by the rear pump. That's also why you have to have a Tow Kit on most newer vehicles to tow them with the drive wheels on the pavement.

...Rich