tranny fluid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A S

Reaction score
I can't find anywhere in the maintenance manual that says our 5r55e trannys need fluid change...I do see other tranny's listed at 30,000..etc......what gives....

Normal Maintenance Not required. Filled for life.

Special Operating Conditions Change the fluid at 48,000 km (30,000 miles) intervals. Use MERCON® V Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-5-QM or equivalent meeting Ford specification MERCON® V.

Sustained high speed driving during hot weather 32°C (90°F)

Towing a trailer for long distances over 1,600 km (1,000 miles)

Accumulating 8,000 km (5,000 miles) or more in one month.

Continuous running service.

This is out of the manual. But in my opnion, if it will make you worry less, go ahead and change it. I and several others have changed over to a synthetic oil. Nothing proven, but it might save on gas as well. _ Ron

Take my word for it, They do. Mercron Type V. Alittle over 4 quarts with just the filter change and then they also should be flushed. (around 12 quarts) There is a project on how to change the filter yourself, and also put in a drainplug to make the next time easier. The flushing needs to be done by a service center. I would do it around 30K miles. Sooner if you feel like it.;)

Just read what Blackhat wrote. (he is correct by the way) You have to remember that they consider "normal conditions" to be no towing, no hills, and no fun.;)

Last edited by a moderator: