Tranny flush

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Timm

Reaction score
My truck has 72k on it and its an 07 V8. When is a good time to flush the tranny? Can any local place do it since it has a closed system? Go with synthetic?

Thanks

I believe the Ford recommended service is 100K and the dealer is recommended for the service..

Stay with Ford OEM fluid

Todd Z

It is not a closed system. There is a plug with a short dipstick on it. Where the dip tube used to be.

100k is the recommended service for the V6/5 sp per the dealer where I got my 07 job 1, but I'm not sure I'm willing to go that long, have 42K right now on mine

Problem is that not everybody has the correct Mercon V fluid. I took my old '05 to a Valvoline shop, they flushed it with Dexron II plus an additive that "turned it into" Mercon V. I went with it and it was okay, but I wasn't real happy about it.

When the tranny is flushed they connect the machine to the fluid cooling lines at the radiator so no drain plug is needed and the pan is not dropped.

Mercon V is not a brand, it is the name of an OEM fluid specification. Any company can make a fluid that meets the OEM standard and it should be 100% compatible with Mercon V or Dextron II etc.

Where I had my transmission flushed, they used a Pennzoil brand of Synthetic Mercon V they purchased in large drums (About 30-40 gallons) The shop guaranteed their work and Pennzoil guaranteed that their fluid was 100% Mercon V compatible. No additives were required,and I would be skeptical of any additives.

With the Gen1 Sport Tracs you had to have the fluid flushed or changed every 30K miles but with that transmissions reputation, I got mine at about 25K miles just to be safe.

...Rich

I do mine every 30k and I lease 3 yr/45k. :wacko: Cheap insurance.

At this point my wife may hold the national record for the most miles on a Taurus without a tranny rebuild (knock on wood). Flushed every 25k since new.

Good to know. thanks guys. I know its higher miles but its alot of highway and has never really towed. I appreciate the help

It is not a closed system. There is a plug with a short dipstick on it. Where the dip tube used to be.

How in the hell are you supposed to check the fluid level with that set up? I assume the vehicle is supposed to be warmed up, running in Drive, and Ford expects me to slide under there to pull the plug? If I raise it up and put it on jack stands, both ends will have to be done to keep it level.

A better idea?

I cannot remember what kind of truck this was, but an old friend of mine told me once that he modified a dipstick tube to his transmission. He had the same issue you guys are having with your newer STs and that dipstick plug. Maybe someone on this board can do the same thing? Just a thought..!

Last edited by a moderator:
How in the hell are you supposed to check the fluid level with that set up?

You don't. Many cars don't come with tranny dipsticks any more. The manufacturers attitude is that if it isn't leaking, then don't worry about it.

You don't. Many cars don't come with tranny dipsticks any more. The manufacturers attitude is that if it isn't leaking, then don't worry about it.

I guess that is OK if the manufacturer puts the CORRECT AMOUNT of fluid in the transmission when they build it.

Also, how are you supposed to change it if they don't provide an easy means to check it?

Also, how are you supposed to change it if they don't provide an easy means to check it?

By taking it to the dealership to have it changed. This is by design. Dealerships make more money on vehicle service than they do sales.

My dealer refused to change/flush mine. Said it was sealed for life and required no service. I wanted to have it done at 30,000 miles, but he refused and told me not to worry about it.

That way they protect their ability to make more by replacing the transmission when it goes out. Servicing it might make it last too long!

My dealer refused to change/flush mine. Said it was sealed for life and required no service.

That's not entirely true. I just checked the recommended services intervals for a Gen 2, V8, 4X4 Sport Trac on the Ford Owner website. Regarding the transmission, here's the recommendation:

Inspect automatic transmission fluid level (if equipped with underhood dipstick)

This is recommended at every 15,000 miles up to 150,000 miles. At 150,000 miles, it's recommended to change the transmission fluid/filter.

Hook the cooler lines up to a flushing machine. Dealers are not the only places that have them, but that would be my preference.

I found this project on a Mustang site for adding a dipstick to the 5R55S transmission. Perhaps it could be adapted or used as a guide for installing a dipstick on a Gen 2 Trac.