Tranny issue...anyone else experience this?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey Travis

Reaction score
'03 ST SLT, - Automatic

I am guessing it is a tranny issue. Was doing about 20-25 and it seemed as if the tranny had trouble engaging, appeared there was no 'go', I lost a few MPH and I heard two clanks (tough to describe the noise and there was an 18 wheeler next to me). Thought I had experienced something similar before but not as extreme.

I parked and then on my way home there seemed to one of the lesser episodes. Just a quick drop of MPH and power.

I am at 31K and have until April '06 for warranty work. Definitely plan on taking it in to get it checked but just getting a feel for if others have experienced the same.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

From atop the mound,

JT#14

Could be the 2-3 flair and just worse, or the shift fork in the transfer case. The tranny could just have been stuck on stupid.

You can disconnect the battery for a 1/2 hour and this will reset the computer and the tranny will go through the learning process again, may work..

Also time to service the tranny any way

Todd Z

thats what I have too. about 60,000km ago they replaced the solenoid only to have it happening again (no more warranty). My fix is going to spend the 380.00 on an xcal2 and change the shift points.

Dallas