Tranny trouble

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Stein

Reaction score
MY 2005 ST was making a loud grinding noise when I put it in reverse. Turns out their is a bad valve in the transmission and Ford has had the darndest time diagnosing it. Not to mention, bad service from them. They wouldnt even give me a loaner car even though I bought an extended warranty and the car has about 10k on it.

Anyone experience this. I imagine they will be replacing the whole tranny after they sit on my vehicle for two weeks at the dealership. I still love my ST. I hate Ford though and plan to never buy from them again.

If you bought extended warranty you are entiteled to a rental car. If the dealer is not cooporating call Ford and see if they can help you. If you just have a regular warranty that came with the truck they are not entitled to provide you with a car.

After hearing about a few 07 member complaint about problem with the 07ST kind of make me

Wonding if i should get another Ford:unsure:

I am having the exact same thing happen in my 2005 Trac. I have put off taking in in because I know they are going to want to hold it for a week or so.

Ryan may be running into the same problem I probably will when it comes to a rental car. The ESP specifically says "rental," not "loaner." Few dealerships around me rent cars, and there are no car rental businesses nearby, so it could be a struggle for me to get a substitute vehicle should I need one, even though I paid for the right when I bought the warranty. The terminology of the ESP should be changed to leave less wiggle-room, or else paying for rental insurance should be optional. As it is, I will have to choose my service dept. based on how they interpret that part of the ESP, drive much further to a dealership that also rents, or call Ford if a dealership balks to see if they will do anything to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got it back fixed. It was a solenoid in the trans, by the way.

I called customer service and found out the following...Laugh

I bought an extended warranty, but since my ST only has 11K on it, the extended warranty does NOT kick in and they would not provide a car. I argued that the extended warranty I bought should supercede the standard anyway. The lady agreed with my gripe and said Ford is idiotic that way and that is just the way the rules are laid out. Ford does not have the infrastructure set up to support their customers when things go wrong. My wife's Camry went in for a regular oil change and they needed it overnight because they were backed up. They provided us a loaner. no questions asked. Toyota is way better when it comes to Service, but they dont have anything as cool as the ST. :)

I bought an extended warranty, but since my ST only has 11K on it, the extended warranty does NOT kick in and they would not provide a car. I argued that the extended warranty I bought should supercede the standard anyway. The lady agreed with my gripe and said Ford is idiotic that way and that is just the way the rules are laid out. Ford does not have the infrastructure set up to support their customers when things go wrong. My wife's Camry went in for a regular oil change and they needed it overnight because they were backed up. They provided us a loaner. no questions asked. Toyota is way better when it comes to Service, but they dont have anything as cool as the ST. :)

Sorry, but I think it really comes down to the dealer not the warranty. It's hard to believe that the original warranty wouldn't cover a rental for a fix that isn't a same day fix. My wife's Mountaineer had a bad spot in the paint when we bought it and the DEALER gave us a rental (POS by the way) for the day. It was done by the time I had to go to work at 3PM. Had the POS for about 6 hours. Glad to hear you got it fixed though. Hope all goes well with it now.;)