Trans Fluid Change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Mott

Reaction score
About to do a pan dump and refill. How much fluid?:wacko: Hate to clutter up the forum with such a question, just to lazy to try to find it somewhere esle. Thanks Guys

4X4 by the way

5 qts if i remember correctly on a 2wd, but I think the 4wd is a little bigger.. but I'm pretty sure I had extra buying 5 for my 2wd.

Mike if it were me I would take it in and get it flushed and filter change. Not just change the fluid in the pan. Unless your going to change the filter yourself and have it flushed. There is like 10.3 QTs of fluid in that trany. So there is only a half of the fluid in the pan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put in a plug and change it when you change the oil, or every other time, and change the filter when required.

If you do that, you get 50% fluid change the first time, 75% the second, 87.5% the third time, etc. Most flushes only claim to get 90-95% of the fluid anyway. I have 180k on the original tranny doing it that way. I got almost 300k out of my GMC that way before I sold it. It still worked.

Been busy and haven't had time to reply. Countrydevil, actually sold trans flushes at a local shopped and never enjoyed doing it. Normal brake down of the transmission helps it in repairing itself. Example: any "stop leak" you buy has metal flakes or some kind of grit in which to fill the leaking spot. Normal wear leaves behind metal shavings. Doesnt happen all the time but 1 out of 5 will have trans problems not to long after a full system flush. May not always be true, but thats what i saw.

Dreman; Going with you man.:cool: How much fluid though. No one answered that.

For me, it's usually just about 1/2 quart more than I happen to have on hand! As many times as I've done you'd think i'd remember. I think it's between 4 and 5 quarts if you drop the pan. And, as far as I remember, without dropping the pan, a drain down and refill is just about 4 quarts on mine.

I just did mine last weekend. Took just shy of 5.

It is VERY messy, and gets everywhere's. Make sure to put a plug in while you have the pan off!

And remember Mercon V!!!

Latest posts