Trans slipping on 03 trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an 03 auto 2wd trac that has been slipping lately (just reving like it was in neutral). It's doing it mostly when coming down my hill from the house. It's always at the bottom of the hill, and when it's coasting in second gear. When you first hit the gas after coasting a bit is when it does the "Rev" or slipping.

The trans has 242,000 miles on it. I had a new crate motor put in at 175,000. but have never had any problem with the transmission. I just had the filter and fluid changed, and he also put some additive in that he said could free up any sticking valves.

It has already slipped once since the fluid/filter change, but he did say I may need to drive it for 50 miles or so until it freed up the sticking issue......if that WAS the issue.

Is this the beginnning of the end? One local shop told me $1400.00 for a rebuild. That sounds awfully cheap for a complete rebuild....but I'm no expert at all. He said w/6month warranty. Opinions?

If it's the trans going out......do you recommend a crate trans over a rebuild? I would like to get rid of it......but I hate to not fix it because I've got $5000 in the crate motor, and I know I won't get the trade in value I've got in it.

$1400 might be excluding the price of any hard parts. That are damaged. Also at that milage you will need a new torque convertor. Is that included.

$1400 sounds about right and should include a new torque converter. If you don't have something break inside of the trans the rebuild kits are extremely cheap and these trans are not complicated at all so the rebuild process is pretty quick. The warranty he is offering is low though. At a bare minimum it should be 12 months 12,000 miles. Was the trans diagnosed as having something sticking?? A good trans person can easily tell the difference between something sticking and something failing.

I was just looking at www.rrorc.com Rough Rangers Off Road Club, mechanic checking trans for slip. He says 2nd 3rd or 5th slip caused by intermediate band pressure failure needs rebuild and servo case pin bore repair, bore wears causing loose pin causing lack of pressure on band. It was bottom of forum page under members only and was posted last week. :driving:

Thanks Guys. I don't know what the $1400.00 quote included...I just did a little calling around to get an idea in case it had to be rebuilt. I've never had a trans rebuilt....and have heard all kinds of horror stories about them not being "Right" after the rebuild, and even having to take them back for a second rebuild.

Do you recommend just a general trans place or would the dealership be better work? i know the dealer would be more expensive.

And what about a crate trans......with the trade-in value of the old one, would that be worth exploring?

Thanks

I have allways got good service an established, certified independents. No dealers or chains for me. If I buy a factory crate. I let an independent install it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were you, I would find a shop that gives you a longer warranty period. I had the same symptoms in mine and one day the tranny went out. Took it to our most reputable local tranny shop and had a complete rebuild. Total was 2,700 and I was given a 2.5 year warranty/unlimited mile. Anything that did go wrong with the tranny in that period was covered by them. 6 months sounds like a short period warranty for a serious job. 1,400 also sounds rather cheap. Keep lookin around at local tranny shops. Get references from them. And be patient til you find the right shop. Most shops wont be able to give you a precise quote since there could be other parts needing to be replaced. They would have to open it up and look at it for an exact quote. Keep in mind for something thi serious. You get what you pay for.

Latest posts