Transfer Case Fill Plug

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Smink

Reaction score
Anyone ever not been able to get the plug out? I am having a bear of a time with the one on my Ranger. I'm afraid that if I put too much torque on it, the transfer case will strip.

Many places sell a wrench dedicated for this application.

It is slightly tapered and grabs MUCH better than using an extension as the extension is square with rounded corners...

Last edited by a moderator:
I did spray it with PB Blaster. I'll give it another try tomorrow night. I'll look for the tool you mentioned, Coastiejoe. Also have to get a longer wrench. I thought I broke the long socket wrench I have trying to get it off; but when I tried it later it was okay. Don't know what happened!

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you turning it the correct direction ???

Some times on your back things look different...

Todd Z

These can be extremely tight at times. I have on occassion had to use a 1/2" impact gun to break these loose but usually am able to get it with a 1/2" breaker bar.

Is a pipe thread, they can be a bitch, righty tighty, lefty loosey

Hit it with a propane tourch, may have been locktighted at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am turning in the correct direction!:banana:

My concern, as I initially wrote, is that the aluminum case itself will strip or rip. Hopefully the Blaster penetrated more over night. I'll put more on tonight and I am getting a breaker bar and will look for the wrench CoastiJoe recommended. I will update later!

Would it be safe using a propane torch?

Success!! I went to Sears to get a breaker bar and then realized that I had one - of sorts. I had a tool to assist in changing serpentine belts that served the same purpose. It was just a tad longer than a normal breaker bar though.

The drain plug came out easier. I used teflon tape on both thinking it might be easier to remove next time. If I had anti-seize compound I would use that.

Also, I can see where a pump would be better than the suction gun to get the new fluid in.

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you turning it the correct direction ???

Some times on your back things look different...

Todd Z
Your comment "are you turning the wrong way?" Once I was replacing steering parts on an Oldsmobile and almost ruined the huge nut on the drag link when BAM! I realized I was righty tighty in stead of lefty loosey LOL S___T happens .

Jerry, your resurrecting these old posts.... this one is from 2009 !! !!! lol

Jerry, your resurrecting these old posts.... this one is from 2009 !! !!! lol
Darn , why do I do that ? I must pay attention LOL. Thats what they told me in school , your not paying attention. LOL thanks ,.Ill try to be more observant .